Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with this rose?

Options
  • 05-06-2016 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭

Noticed loads of little insects on the plant this morning and the petals aren't looking too good. Any idea what is going on with it?

13349095_10156997163790191_1781801337_n_zpszx6tov6g.jpg

13401472_10156997163750191_738580392_n_zpsjsttwh5i.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Is that not an attack of greenfly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I have no idea sorry, total gardening noob here. Do we get a spray?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

A few options - buy an insecticide and spray the leaves -top and bottom - and repeat every few days until the greenfly are gone. (This may also kill beneficial insects though)

Get a spray gun (an empty kitchen one, very well rinsed, will do fine) and fill with tepid water and washing up liquid - spray all over and the greenfly should gradually die off. Repeat as needed.

Just moisten a woollen glove with soapy water and gently rub off the greenfly -- tedious if its a big plant but it's instant and if repeated works very well.

lottpaul wrote: »
    A few options - buy an insecticide and spray the leaves -top and bottom - and repeat every few days until the greenfly are gone. (This may also kill beneficial insects though)

Get a spray gun (an empty kitchen one, very well rinsed, will do fine) and fill with tepid water and washing up liquid - spray all over and the greenfly should gradually die off. Repeat as needed.

Just moisten a woollen glove with soapy water and gently rub off the greenfly -- tedious if its a big plant but it's instant and if repeated works very well.

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I've used the water and washing up liquid too and it worked wonders. I never had to repeat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Crushed garlic gloves soaked in water, also makes a very effective pest spray.

The soapy water bottle spray has done the trick! I've also noticed little guys on the flower of a cacti. Would this work on the cacti also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Adiboo wrote: »
    The soapy water bottle spray has done the trick! I've also noticed little guys on the flower of a cacti. Would this work on the cacti also?

It should work on all soft bodied insects - greenfly, whitefly etc

Advertisement