Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP over mobile broadband?

Options
  • 05-06-2016 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have experience of VOIP working successfully over mobile broadband?

I looking at this in the context of getting rid of a landline, but keeping/porting the landline number for occasional incoming calls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kbotond2

Of course, VoIP works just fine on mobile.
    You can choose between multiple free softphones.
    For example if you are using Android then you can use CSipSimple or MizuDroid.
    Both works fine even on low bandwidth connections (the minimum you must have is 20 kbits which is just enough for G.729 codec)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Apogee

Thanks for reply. Can you confirm which network you're on? I was a little concerned about some mobile networks blocking ports.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yeah I have got it working on Three fine. Use 4G for a more stable connection, works flawlessly on G.729 for me anyways.
    I think Vodafone block ports 5060 and prohibit it on some of their mobile broadband plans.

Personally I believe using Virgin Media / FTTC with QoS is much better for a VoIP connection for business use or if you want a fully stable reliable connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gmaximum

Apogee wrote:
    I looking at this in the context of getting rid of a landline, but keeping/porting the landline number for occasional incoming calls.

If your a business customer Vodafone will give a virtual number pointed at your mobile as part of your bundled plan. (Used to be the case anyway)

No reason why they wouldn't port your number

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Gmaximum wrote: »
    If your a business customer Vodafone will give a virtual number pointed at your mobile as part of your bundled plan. (Used to be the case anyway)

No reason why they wouldn't port your number

That's Vodafone OneNet Express I think you're talking about. Thats a service. The OP just wants a VOIP device running on a mobile connection

• Advertisement
Advertisement