Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A modest proposal. Luas to Dart link at Cherrywood

Options
  • 05-06-2016 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

It seems to me that linking Cherrywood Luas and Shankill Dart station with an extension to the Luas line would be a great way of joining up to bits of crucial transport infrastructure.

The Dark and Luas station are only just over 1.2 KM in a direct line. You would have to cross the M11 and bridge the Dargle river and maybe knock a few houses. I think there is already and old railway viaduct close by that could be used.

Has this been considered by the powers that be or is there some major problem that I have not foreseen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

The viaduct you're talking about was part of the Harcourt St line. Much of the land between it and the rail line at Woodbrook Golf Club is built on.

There's probably more knowledgeable people here but I think that was one of the stumbling blocks for running the Luas out to meet the DART line.

Edit
    http://www.wicklownews.net/2014/04/proposed-luas-expansion-to-bray/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

shar01 wrote: »
    The viaduct you're talking about was part of the Harcourt St line. Much of the land between it and the rail line at Woodbrook Golf Club is built on.

There's probably more knowledgeable people here but I think that was one of the stumbling blocks for running the Luas out to meet the DART line.

Edit
    http://www.wicklownews.net/2014/04/proposed-luas-expansion-to-bray/

Hi, thanks for that. I think that proposal would be difficult because as you say much of the land has been built on. That proposed line is 9Km long which would have a multitude of problems and costs. What I am proposing is to link the two systems together with the shortest possible line, one that would be less that 1.5Km maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

As far as I am aware it has always been the long term plan to bring the Green Line to Bray at some point.

I don't think it's a big priority though, if you are interested in "joining up to bits of crucial transport infrastructure" the best project for that is DART Underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Hi, thanks for that. I think that proposal would be difficult because as you say much of the land has been built on. That proposed line is 9Km long which would have a multitude of problems and costs. What I am proposing is to link the two systems together with the shortest possible line, one that would be less that 1.5Km maybe.

South Dublin county council planning department allowed someone to build an office block between the Cherrywood stop and that Viaduct. As the previous poster said a lot of houses and a golf course block the Harcourt st. Alignment between Cherrywood and Bray. And as the Luas cannot run on Dart lines. An alternative route must be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

I think that's a great idea OP. Sending the track down towards and over the N11 flyover to hang a right up the southbound side of the N11 would allow it to take a left down the Common's Road. From there it can shoot across the shortcut at Clinton Park and direct up to Shankill DART. My only concern would be the Shanganagh River and it's proximity to the line.

Way shorter than heading to Bray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

MrMorooka wrote: »
    As far as I am aware it has always been the long term plan to bring the Green Line to Bray at some point.

I don't think it's a big priority though, if you are interested in "joining up to bits of crucial transport infrastructure" the best project for that is DART Underground.

I agree that the dart underground is a priority build but it dosnt mean that we cant join other lines at different points. here we are talking about a 1.5 Km build compared to the Dark underground which would cost billions and take years. This build would be relatively cheap and short.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

If I could wave a magic wand, a green line extension to Kilmacanogue would (hopefully) catch the car traffic coming up from Wicklow / Arklow / Gorey and reduce pressure on the M50.

In the mornings when I'm coming down the Wyattville link road, the Luas seems to be sparsely populated as it comes across the bridge into Bride's Glen. Does anyone know if the Cherrywood Park and Ride popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 falconio

Great practical suggestion.

Coupled with PPT and Luas BXD and maybe the clongriffin dart spur we'd have some kind of integrated rail network.

Before I get shouted at if I was benevolent dictator of Ireland (or anywhere else) I would go for a from-scratch underground railway system but this is Ireland not Stockholm or Madrid!

What about doing something with the Meath railway for modest proposal II? By google maps its about 9k to Rathoath from Pace, why not build a station there to service rathoath/ashbourne/dunshaughlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

shar01 wrote: »
    If I could wave a magic wand, a green line extension to Kilmacanogue would (hopefully) catch the car traffic coming up from Wicklow / Arklow / Gorey and reduce pressure on the M50.

In the mornings when I'm coming down the Wyattville link road, the Luas seems to be sparsely populated as it comes across the bridge into Bride's Glen. Does anyone know if the Cherrywood Park and Ride popular?
    The (recently ditched/ postponed) plan was for a Luas Park and Ride in Fassaroe as part of the Bray extension.

The Carrickmines one hasn't been that busy anytime I've used it, certainly not compared to the likes of Greystones. It's the wrong side of the merge to be effective imo. A Cherrywood one would probably have more potential, but there's no plans for that.

I don't know whether it would have the take up, but a Park and Ride for buses in Ashford and/or Newtown might have potential with the right service options and capacity (an extended 145x route, with bus lane up through the Glen O'The Downs and Kilmac). There's very few options to park up for a bus, that I'd be be particularly happy leaving the car anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement