Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever used His.ie

Options
  • 05-06-2016 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I'm an aspiring Web developer. Last night I was looking good for local we development companies and was the best I came across was http://www.his.ie/ in Baldoyle.

I even remember this company being advertised around the area a couple of years ago.

Has anyone ever used these, and if so what are they like.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Can't say I've ever heard of them and to be honest I'm not sure it would be fair to start reviewing the work of someone that hadn't asked for it to be reviewed.

Keeping things purely factual, they claim (on their Facebook page) to have completed 1,200 web sites which is a fairly savage number of site for what appears to be a 10 year old operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Looks like they build on their own cms and charge 30 pm on top of dev charges.
    Makes it difficult to move your site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Yuck! I'd hate that.

A site should be one-off OR rental, not both.

And I regularly do a custom CMS for people but there's absolutely no tie-in; if they want to move there's no issue, as I want clients to WANT to stay with me, not force them to.

Obviously if someone else tampers with the site then any standing-over-it or support that I naturally do is broken - I can't be responsible for that - but apart from that they're free to do what they wish.

The only reference I see to the €30/mth is the 'SEO package'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Graham wrote: »
    Can't say I've ever heard of them and to be honest I'm not sure it would be fair to start reviewing the work of someone that hadn't asked for it to be reviewed.

Keeping things purely factual, they claim (on their Facebook page) to have completed 1,200 web sites which is a fairly savage number of site for what appears to be a 10 year old operation.

They have been in business for 4114 days, so 587 weeks.

They have completed 1175 projects, so they have completed 2 projects a week for the last for the last 11 1/4 years.

• Advertisement

They have been in business for 4114 days, so 587 weeks.

They have completed 1175 projects, so they have completed 2 projects a week for the last for the last 11 1/4 years.

Like I said, a fairly savage number of sites to be churning out. Would lead me to believe they're doing incredibly well with brochureware type sites. Nothing at all wrong with that if that's their niche.

Like I said, a fairly savage number of sites to be churning out. Would lead me to believe they're doing incredibly well with brochureware type sites. Nothing at all wrong with that if that's their niche.

Exactly. It did look high but if they were hitting a niche of basic site and had 3 or 4 staff then there's also the possibility that it's one person working on a site for a fortnight. Doable.

Exactly. It did look high but if they were hitting a niche of basic site and had 3 or 4 staff then there's also the possibility that it's one person working on a site for a fortnight. Doable.

One person eve potentially throwing out 2 sites a week on his/her own.

One person eve potentially throwing out 2 sites a week on his/her own.

Can't see that being consistently doable over 10 years, to be honest. I've gotten a handful of very basic sites done in 3 days over the years (first enquiry to finish) but I'd be stunned if that were possible repeatedly with any level of customer interaction in terms of what the client needed.

Hence why - in order not to cast aspersions - I said it was doable in a 3 or 4 person operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I reported a number of typos to them via the footer form.

As a WordPress developer, the blog post "Wordpress Vs Bootstrap" irritated me. It has another few typos and the comparison is an invalid one because Bootstrap is not a CMS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The last time I heard about his.ie was years ago. At that stage it was a one man show working from his house. Going by the address, it's still the case but his prices are considerably more expensive than they used to be.

There know up to 1179 sites. There really churning them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There know up to 1179 sites. There really churning them out.

Because the sites he churns out are pretty basic templates.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I think it's fair game to give an opinion on publicly visible work. Though I'd leave well enough alone as a professional courtesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Adam Brennan

I understand this is a bit of a bump, but I am surprised that this website even makes business.
    Their main website looks terrible, and I'd reckon the underlying code is as equally as terrible as the looks.

Their blog system doesn't even validate that retrieved queries actually output anything, as can be demonstrated by feeding non-existent information into the blog_title parameter (blog.php?blog_title=not-a-valid-title).

Instead of outputting a 404, it just outputs a blank structure. Not good.
    If you still haven't decided OP, I'd advise not going with them.

Did the OP suggest he was considering 'going with them'?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Adam Brennan

Did the OP suggest he was considering 'going with them'?

Not directly, however, asking for opinions on those who have previously used them indicates to me that he may have been considering doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I understand this is a bit of a bump, but I am surprised that this website even makes business.
    Their main website looks terrible, and I'd reckon the underlying code is as equally as terrible as the looks.

Their blog system doesn't even validate that retrieved queries actually output anything, as can be demonstrated by feeding non-existent information into the blog_title parameter (blog.php?blog_title=not-a-valid-title).

Instead of outputting a 404, it just outputs a blank structure. Not good.

To be fair, it's far from the worst in terms of web design in Ireland. bUt that's another big discussion which of course involves talking about the typical Irish small business client.

In any case I thought the OP said they were an aspiring web designer/dev so were looking for work rather than buying design services.

Advertisement