Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 reporters on RTE

Options
  • 04-06-2016 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

what's the deal with loads of TV3 reporters moving to RTE?

Darren Frehill
    Claire Byrne
    Dave Kelly
    Will Goodbody
    Diane Connor
    Brian O Donovan

Talk about poaching! :O

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

People move jobs... possibly better terms of employment at RTE and far more scope for reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

conditions must be amazing.. i dont see them moving in the other direction

It's hardly surprising though. TV3 is much smaller and less well resourced. Money isn't everything. There's just much, much more scope to do a range of different programming, work across radio, television, documentary, online etc etc at RTE.

Unfortunately, we haven't really got the kind of counterbalance you get in the UK against BBC because the commercial sector in TV here is much smaller and younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

gercoral wrote: »

Darren Frehill
    Claire Byrne
    Dave Kelly
    Will Goodbody
    Diane Connor
    Brian O Donovan

Other ex-TV3 staff to join RTÉ include:

Gráinne Seoige
    Ray Kennedy
    Joanne Cantwell
    Steven Murphy
    Sharon Tobin

ex-TV3 staff to join Other stations include:
    Claire Brock > UTV Ireland
    Conor McNamara > BBC Radio 5 Live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

gercoral wrote: »

Darren Frehill
    Claire Byrne
    Dave Kelly
    Will Goodbody
    Diane Connor
    Brian O Donovan

Claire Byrne must be at RTE for five years, I don't ever remember Will Goodbody being at TV3, nor Darren Frehill, so I assume it was years ago.

What's your point?

• Advertisement

Vincent Browne was on RTE for years and moved to TV3

Pat Kenny moved to Newstalk...

Ian Dempsey was a mainstay of RTE for years and moved Today FM.

It's not entirely one way traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yer one off that super substantial seven o'clock show on TV3 used to be on RTE.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

While I'm going to move this thread to broadcasting, I'm kinda unsure of the point the OP is trying to make here. I'm going to watch this thread and it'll be closed if it doesn't go anywhere

On a more general note - people move jobs and companies all the time, the fact that broadcasters do it in the public eye doesn't mean that they are disentitled to do so or should be somehow indentured to the company that gave them their break. It's called having a career. They are entitled to move subject to any terms in their contract that restrict them on that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTE staff also move.
    Unfortunately, we haven't really got the kind of counterbalance you get in the UK against BBC because the commercial sector in TV here is much smaller and younger.

Really don't think this is a reason. TV3 have been on the air for nearly 20 years at this stage. For most of that time it had the top ITV soaps and programmes. It could have grown much more substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Claire Byrne must be at RTE for five years, I don't ever remember Will Goodbody being at TV3, nor Darren Frehill, so I assume it was years ago.

What's your point?

Will Goodbody was a news reporter at TV3 in the station's early years and he would have been quite active in stories like Dublin local news/court reports if I recall.

Now that I think of it, another news reporter who used also work at TV3 was John Kilraine and he is now also at RTÉ covering Dublin based stories/court reports.

Darren Frehill was on sport and he would have been a regular presenter of the programme, "Sports Tonight" which used to go out on late evenings at TV3 in the days before "Tonight with Vincent Browne". Presenters of Sports Tonight would have included the likes of: Trevor Welch, Aidan Cooney, Tommy Martin, Des Curran, Joanne Cantwell and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Darragh maloney and mark Cagney are ex rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Thanks to the truly unique way RTE is funded (Licence and ad revenue) they can afford to poach the talent from elsewhere. These individuals have done nothing wrong, but RTE have done and will continue to do so while they retain dual funding.

Jayop wrote: »
    Thanks to the truly unique way RTE is funded (Licence and ad revenue) they can afford to poach the talent from elsewhere. These individuals have done nothing wrong, but RTE have done and will continue to do so while they retain dual funding.

TV3 and all Radio stations have the ability to sell more advertising than RTE this should provide them with the ability to poach such talent from RTE. The main competitors to RTE TV are owned either by ITV and Virgin Media major multination companies.

Elmo wrote: »
    TV3 and all Radio stations have the ability to sell more advertising than RTE this should provide them with the ability to poach such talent from RTE. The main competitors to RTE TV are owned either by ITV and Virgin Media major multination companies.

So? Virgin and others aren't in Ireland to spend money they earn elsewhere.

RTE have money coming from the State and from Ads. They are completely noncompetitive and should have one or the other.

The licence fee should be limited to RTE 1, Radio 1, Lyric and RnaG.

RTE 2 Television and 2FM should sink or swim. I don't think that it's very fair to have them doing anything other than commercial stuff as that's exactly how they behave.

I can't see *anything* public service about 2FM in particular. It's a commercial music station.

So? Virgin and others aren't in Ireland to spend money they earn elsewhere.

The idea that Virgin, ITV and Communicorp are not strong enough to take on RTE should be put to bed. Of course they all have the right to make money from other source but all have the ability to be better. Dual funding has nothing to do with competition in the current climate.
    The licence fee should be limited to RTE 1, Radio 1, Lyric and RnaG.

...and the Orchestras, some over to the BAI, some to TG4, some free programming to TG4, RTEjr (tv/radio), RTE News Now and digital radio services.... oh and not forgetting providing funding to the Oireachtas because of the mess they made of OTV.

Elmo wrote: »
    The idea that Virgin, ITV and Communicorp are not strong enough to take on RTE should be put to bed. Of course they all have the right to make money from other source but all have the ability to be better. Dual funding has nothing to do with competition in the current climate.

...and the Orchestras, some over to the BAI, some to TG4, some free programming to TG4, RTEjr (tv/radio), RTE News Now and digital radio services.... oh and not forgetting providing funding to the Oireachtas because of the mess they made of OTV.

Virgin and the rest are at a competative disadvantage in Ireland. RTE have dual funding and no matter how big they are, they can't compete at the same level with that. They're comercial entities and they are now going to plough in money that they can't get back.

The orchestras would be the first thing I'd cut from the TV license. Farcical waste of money.

Jayop wrote: »
    Virgin and the rest are at a competative disadvantage in Ireland. RTE have dual funding and no matter how big they are, they can't compete at the same level with that. They're comercial entities and they are now going to plough in money that they can't get back.

The orchestras would be the first thing I'd cut from the TV license. Farcical waste of money.

If they are at such a disadvantage why did both ITV and Virgin buy up Services in the last year? If either wanted they could earn more from advertising than they currently do but as you say that would cost money and its a risk.

So on the one hand get rid of RTE2 and 2fm because the lack Public service broadcasting on the other get rid of Orchestras because they might be consider are a white elephant rather than of public benefit.

The dual funding is largely eat up by other aspects of RTE.

There is no discussion of the licence fee anywhere in Cable and Digital other than the licence fee sticky

icdg wrote: »
    There is no discussion of the licence fee anywhere in Cable and Digital other than the licence fee sticky

I think we need two separate threads. One to discuss when you should pay the fee and when you should pay the fee and other advice (which the licence fee thread ends up being).

Another to discuss the use of the fee, the collection of the fee, dual funding, commercial and public service broadcasters, broadcasting competition etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Darragh Maloney is the chief Soccer broadcaster on RTE.
    This poaching has been going on for years to the point where if any reporter has been at TV3 for more that 5 years without going to RTE then they aren't very good.

TG4 also lose a lot of their brightest stars to RTE withe the likes of Dathi o'shea having start out there.

RTE are simply top dog, give the best career opportunities and can pay the best salaries.
    Brian Dobson is on about 200k/year.
    I've no idea what the likes of Alan Cantwell is on but I'd hazard a guess it's a long way shy of that.

I've no idea what the likes of Alan Cantwell is on but I'd hazard a guess it's a long way shy of that.

Not anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I think Ray Kennedy is underused on RTE.
    He has filled in recently, for Brian Dobson on Six -One news, but for some strange reason was sitting in the other seat/chair, normally reserved for Sharon and she was in Brians chair.

Anyhow, I do believe his presentation is excellent. He has worked on Sky news also ?

On the short lived Sky News Ireland IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

PacMan wrote: »
    I think Ray Kennedy is underused on RTE.
    He has filled in recently, for Brian Dobson on Six -One news, but for some strange reason was sitting in the other seat/chair, normally reserved for Sharon and she was in Brians chair.

Anyhow, I do believe his presentation is excellent. He has worked on Sky news also ?

The most senior reporter usually sits on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

RTE aren't allowed use the same reporter twice in the same month so had to draft a few extra in....plus they need to justify the license increase that will inevitably follow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Both came from radio.

As TV goes Darragh Maloney was always RTE. He never worked at TV3.

Likewise Cagney never had a TV program on RTE that I am aware of. He has hinted at his retirement from Ireland AM as he is now 60 and feels out of tuch with the demographic.

@ICDG. I think the discussion of the licence fee here was brought in by Jayop. The point he was making was that RTE can afford to pay these staff more because they have dual funding. The truth is that RTE do possibly pay more, but ultimately any journalist/presneter/broadcaster worth their salt has those aspirations.

The reason they have dual funding is that the licence fee isn't enough to pay for PSB TV. TV3 knew what they were entering into when they took up their broadcasting licence. It never ceases to amaze me that people cannot distinguish between commercial private outfits and publically funded TV.

STB. wrote:
    It never ceases to amaze me that people cannot distinguish between commercial private outfits and publically funded TV.

The bbc is publicly funded tv, rte is a subsidised broadcaster with ad revenue helping inflate the wage bill. How many reporters do they really need?

The bbc is publicly funded tv, rte is a subsidised broadcaster with ad revenue helping inflate the wage bill. How many reporters do they really need?

BBC is hugely commercial with lots of other funding such as a 50% in UKTV which over took Channel 5 & Sky in UK.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote:
    BBC is hugely commercial with lots of other funding such as a 50% in UKTV which over took Channel 5 & Sky in UK.

I never said they weren't a commercial outfit so what's your point? I said they were publicly funded in comparison to RTE which is subsidised by the public

Advertisement