Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English poetry, any educated guesses?

Options
  • 04-06-2016 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I've to learn off quotes, I got lucky in the mock having looked over Durcan quotes the morning before and ended up getting 38/50 only talked about 3 poems.. I got a C1 overall.

I want to be a bit more prepared for the actual thing.

Any educated guesses on who will come up?
    Learning off 5 poets and 6 poems is unlikely between now and the exam.

I'm thinking maybe Durcan since he's never came up, Yeats (rising etc) and maybe Bishop to have a female poet.

I want to avoid Larkin as I find him a miserable old sod, and I'm undecided between Bishop and Dickinson.
    What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

I think either one of Bishop or Dickinson is almost guaranteed. Just in case, I did a tiny bit on Plath and Ni Chuilleanain as well - there always has to be a female poet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Giotar wrote: »
    I think either one of Bishop or Dickinson is almost guaranteed. Just in case, I did a tiny bit on Plath and Ni Chuilleanain as well - there always has to be a female poet

We're only doing Bishop and Dickinson. I heard in a revision course that Dickinson would be likely.
    I've got it in my head to go with Durcan and Dickinson because if Yeats does come up, because he's so tipped to come up, it will probably be a difficult question..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

I'm studying Eliot, Dickinson, Bishop and Larkin. Feel I'm pretty safe tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm guessing Bishop and/or Durcan will come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Eliot, Durcan, Bishop, Dickinson are the ones I'm mainly focused on. I don't really like Eliot but if it's an easy going question over the rest I'll write on it.

• Advertisement

We're covering Bishop, Dickinson, Durcan, Yeats, Larkin.
    Larkin is one I want to avoid, Durcan and Yeats are the ones I'll concentrate on but I'm not 100% and I'll go through either Bishop or Dickinson.

I feel like I might be setting myself up for a fail but I can't very well learn 4/5 poets quotes in the time we have left.
    What do ye think?

TheBiz wrote: »
    We're covering Bishop, Dickinson, Durcan, Yeats, Larkin.
    Larkin is one I want to avoid, Durcan and Yeats are the ones I'll concentrate on but I'm not 100% and I'll go through either Bishop or Dickinson.

I feel like I might be setting myself up for a fail but I can't very well learn 4/5 poets quotes in the time we have left.
    What do ye think?

Well given you should already have a good grasp of them revising over four and even knowing a fifth as a backup should be very easy to do. Even if you do two one day, two the next and at some point briefly have a look at a fifth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Whatever you do, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

spurious wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I'm trying to cover all bases within reason but I just don't know if I am.
    I certainly don't want to go in look at the poetry and just have a mirage of cursing for internal monologue

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I'm doing Yeats, Bishop, Dickinson, Plath and Eliot with a focus on Yeats and Bishop. My predictions would be Yeats, Eliot, Durcan and either Bishop or Dickinson. Absolutely can't stand Durcan though

• Advertisement

emersyn wrote: »
    I'm doing Yeats, Bishop, Dickinson, Plath and Eliot with a focus on Yeats and Bishop. My predictions would be Yeats, Eliot, Durcan and either Bishop or Dickinson. Absolutely can't stand Durcan though

So aince I'm not going Plath or Eliot, maybe I should go with Yeats, Durcan, bishop/Dickinson (Dickinson is due up apparently).
    Why do you hate Durcan?

So aince I'm not going Plath or Eliot, maybe I should go with Yeats, Durcan, bishop/Dickinson (Dickinson is due up apparently).
    Why do you hate Durcan?

He just bores the hell out of me on every level, I can't think of anything appealing about his work - everything reads like pretentious, forced, superficial drivel. Although my favourite is Bishop and I know lots of people on here feel the same way about her as I do about Durcan, so each to their own!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I want to be a bit more prepared for the actual thing.

Any educated guesses on who will come up?
    The only way to be certain that you will have at least one poet on the paper you're prepared for is to cover 5 to at least some extent. Obviously, you're unlikely to cover all 5 at the same detailed level, but covering say 3 well and having a quick look over another 2 should leave you able to make some attempt at a question even if the worst happens.
    Giotar wrote: »
    Just in case, I did a tiny bit on Plath and Ni Chuilleanain as well - there always has to be a female poet
    There doesn't actually ... nor does there have to be an Irish poet, there's no such rule in the curriculum.

There is a trend / tradition that there will be at least one woman / one Irish poet, and I'm not saying that this is the year they will change that, but be aware that it's not written in stone.

There doesn't actually ... nor does there have to be an Irish poet, there's no such rule in the curriculum.

There is a trend / tradition that there will be at least one woman / one Irish poet, and I'm not saying that this is the year they will change that, but be aware that it's not written in stone.

Well, if the 4 men come up my class is pretty much screwed! We looked at the 4 women and had a very brief look at Durcan but I don't know anyone who studied him in detail. I'll be lighting a few candles the night before, so I think I'm safe.

Everyone here hoping for Yeats to come up... And I'm here refusing to study him (even though he's my 5th poet) because his work is so boring.

Gonna read over notes and his poetry the day before but I'm banking on my other poets!

Don't know how you guys enjoy Yeats or find him easier than the likes of Durcan, Larkin etc. :o:o

I'm gonna end up lighting a church nevermind a candle, for luck. :o

Everyone here hoping for Yeats to come up... And I'm here refusing to study him (even though he's my 5th poet) because his work is so boring.

Gonna read over notes and his poetry the day before but I'm banking on my other poets!

Don't know how you guys enjoy Yeats or find him easier than the likes of Durcan, Larkin etc. :o:o

I'm gonna end up lighting a church nevermind a candle, for luck. :o

Yeats is pretty easy for me to do since we did him for the JC along with Plath. I won't really look over him much either though for the LC since I really don't like Easter 1916, The Second Coming and Sailing to Byzantium. Durcan, Dickinson and Bishop are the ones I find easiest.

I generally enjoy poetry but Larkin... Oh no...

Oh is everyone here doing 6 poems per poet?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Oh is everyone here doing 6 poems per poet?

Eliot I do 4. For the rest I do 5 and maybe briefly mention a sixth.

lumosteph wrote: »
    Eliot I do 4. For the rest I do 5 and maybe briefly mention a sixth.

Our teacher just told us to do three for Eliot if you are including Prufrock. For the rest we cover four and mention the other two if possible.

On the note of paper 2 does anyone have any suggestions about what to focus on for King Lear? I know it's a lot harder to predict than the poetry but I'm getting kind of overwhelmed with revision :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

On the note of paper 2 does anyone have any suggestions about what to focus on for King Lear? I know it's a lot harder to predict than the poetry but I'm getting kind of overwhelmed with revision :(

Characters, Themes, Imagery, Language and how the sub-plot mirrors the main plot.

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Characters, Themes, Imagery, Language and how the sub-plot mirrors the main plot.

Yeah, narrowing it down from there is the bit I'm having the trouble with

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

Major themes like sight and blindness, theme of love, madness , imagery and symbolism, is Lear a tragic hero? Why study the the play? Power and justice.

Remember you will always have a choice between a character question and a theme or imagery/symbolism question

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

Would they ever ask a character question on characters like Kent or The Fool or do they tend to focus on the main ones? Don't know is it worth studying them

Yeah, narrowing it down from there is the bit I'm having the trouble with

There isn't much to learn about King Lear, don't know how you're overwhelmed?

Just know the play, and happens during the key scenes. A few key quotes here and there aswell.

The themes are all common sense and scenes and quotes are easy to morph into the question if you think outside the box.

Techniques used by Shakespeare to create an enthralling piece are also not too complicated. (universal themes, fallacy, dramatic irony, characterisation etc).

Seems like every school is doing King Lear, and then there's us doing 'Great Gatsby and Wuthering Heights, The Artist and Othello for our comparative!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

koolis02 wrote: »
    Would they ever ask a character question on characters like Kent or The Fool or do they tend to focus on the main ones? Don't know is it worth studying them

If I did come up sure just do the other question! You'll always have the option.

Seems like every school is doing King Lear, and then there's us doing 'Great Gatsby and Wuthering Heights, The Artist and Othello for our comparative!

We're doing Wuthering Heights as our single text. It's a fu*king nightmare! Othello, The King's Speech and New Town Soul for Comparative. NTS is even worse than WH :(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Leavingcert16

Does anybody think Ni Chuilleanain could come up I really don't want her to

• Advertisement

Does anybody think Ni Chuilleanain could come up I really don't want her to

Well she came up last year, I wouldn't say 'oh she'll definitely come up' but there's always a chance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement