Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy a 2008 Nissan quashqai?

Options
  • 04-06-2016 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

I currently drive a Renalt Grande Scenic but it is giving loads of trouble and I'm looking at a Quashqai between the years 2007 and 2009, I'm looking at the 1.5 diesel model and I'm wondering is it a reliable car? Does anyone here own one and if so what is it like to live with?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what sort of trouble are you having?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HarryMurphy

Hi Colm_mcm,

The alternator has gone twice since January, Parking brake failed in November and is now gone again, it seems to be one thing after another every few months.

keep in mind the qashqai has the same engine as the grand scenic.
    stuff breaks no matter what you have, you'll spend a nice bit gettin into qashqai from your own car.

was there new parts fitted for the handbrake and alternator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

You need better diagnostics if the same issues keep reoccurring there must be a root cause so treating symptoms won't fix it. Or using cheap spurious or 2nd hand replacement parts may be a factor.

So the reliability should be the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Most important thing I'd be looking for is a complete service history. If it hasn't been maintained properly then it has the potential to cause you as much heartbreak as your Renault. Overall build quality & reliability are better in the Nissan but the engine is a Renault unit and can be problemy.

The handbrake unit was a new unit fitted in November, I used a reconditioned alternator, could be the problem?

well the scenic has a few common issues like the key cards, window regs, electric parking brake which aren't a problem with the qashqai.

I would say you need a better mechanic.

The Scenic I have is a 08 reg 1.5 dci looking at 2007-2009 quashai they seem to have the standard handbrake, Nissan is a good brand but my fear is changing to a car that is just as bad as the one I have.

there is a manual handbrake kit you can get for the scenic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Remember Renault is a majority shareholder in Nissan so a lot of bits cross over, mainly engines and drive train parts. Electrics aren't as problematic in Nissan though

Would yee two lads think its worth changing or should I go for the conversion kit?

Depends on how much it'd cost you to change to a Qashqai and whether you need something bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another thing that should be noted is that the Qashqai will not have near the same level of interior or boot space as your Grand Scenic. Just something to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Her indoors replaced her troublesome Grand Scenic with a 2008 Qashqai a number of years back and never had a problem with it, she liked it so much she replaced it with a 2014 model and loves that one too.

Advertisement