Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uploading pictures to share only with friends and family

Options
  • 04-06-2016 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I took some photos recently at a family event. Some of the people present have requested that I share the photos with them. I would like to upload these to the web and share them onlywith with friends/family members. What is the best site for doing this? I doesn't necessarily have to be free, I am prepared to pay a small cost if the site is good.

If this is the wrong forum my apologies, and please let me know which is the correct forum.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Dropbox, the only people who can see the files are those you share them with. You can also password protect the folder if you want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You can put them in a private gallery in a photo sharing site. I have done this on Photobucket, Flickr and the late Pix.ie. The album is invisible without an invitation and key.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

I use Flickr for this. Create an album of private photos and send link to friends/family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i find dropbox the handiest for pure file sharing. you can treat it like any other folder on your computer, and access it easily via a smartphone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I've used Dropbox for years (and still do..) but have found in the last couple of years that the notifications can be overbearing and recently it's been telling me that the Dropbox is full when it's not.

I use Flickr for a private work account as well and find it far better. When I had that account on Dropbox people using IPads in particular were getting an 'insufficient space' message and were deleting photographs not realising that this affected everyone.

With Flickr only the administrator can delete files and I find that it's a lot more user friendly and better for viewing and the 'Technophobes in work in particular also find it easier to use.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

recently it's been telling me that the Dropbox is full when it's not.
    they recently introduced a behaviour that when you try to upload more than 10 files at once on a smartphone from within the phone UI, it gives an error which looks like a capacity problem. it's simply that it now disallows that number of files in a single action.
    i think if you launch the app itself first, it will allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Facebook is always an option too... You you don't mind your photos quality being totally ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭tmh106

samhail wrote: »
    Facebook is always an option too... You you don't mind your photos quality being totally ruined.

Thanks samhail, I'm not on Facebook , and based on your comment I don't think i will be joining for its photo sharing capabilities.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply, I appreciate it. I am tending towards Dropbox. I am also checking out Microsoft Onedrive, as I got a free account on it with Office365.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

WeTransfer is also a great way of sending large files or a quantity of full size photos by 'email'.

I think it allows up to 2GB at a time on the free account which is great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

Does dropbox have t&c's like facebook where they can licence your photo for payment without your permission or paying you?

op there is a site called deviantart but i do not know if yopu can keep stuff for some eyes only

Whatever you think about facebook, they don't take your photos for their own nefarious ends. Whatever financial benefit they'd gain would be utterly wiped out by the relational damage.

Whatever you think about facebook, they don't take your photos for their own nefarious ends. Whatever financial benefit they'd gain would be utterly wiped out by the relational damage.
    it is in their terms and conditions. While you still own the copyright,you agree they can licence your photos without paying you. The following is from a Telegraph article. If you google 'Facebook terms and conditions: why you don't own your online life' , no quotes,it is the first result
    Facebook
    With over a billion users, Facebook is the definitive homepage for many web users. Its terms of service, data use and cookie use policy span more than 14,000 words over eight separate pages and would take even the quickest reader more than two hours to dig through. But what rights have you handed over to Facebook?

Specifically for photos and video uploaded to the site, Facebook has a license to use your content in any way it sees fit, with a license that goes beyond merely covering the operation of the service in its current form. Facebook can transfer or sub-license its rights over a user’s content to another company or organisation if needed. Facebook’s license does not end upon the deactivation or deletion of a user’s account, content is only released from this license once all other users that have interacted with the content have also broken their ties with it (for example, a photo or video shared or tagged with a group of friends).

Google 'I asked a lawyer how facebook's new terms will affect my online life' no quotes. See the first result from vice dot com which includes in part
    Your expertise covers the crazy stuff companies try to hide in their TOS. How does Facebook compare to most of what you see?
    ​Out of all the TOS I have dealt with in 20 years, Facebook's are the most intrusive. To be granted rights to track an individual's movements, and thus the people that would be with those individuals, and to potentially commercially exploit without permission all pictures posted on Facebook without specific consent, is breath-taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Onedrive is complete sh'ite ... sorry

Flickr is great for what you need, easy to share with friends/family .. can even create a guest pass for certain sets of images .

Onedrive is complete sh'ite ... sorry

Why do you say that? Not disagreeing with you, I don't know enough about this stuff to know one way or the other. Just curious because I was tending towards Onedrive because I got an account on it with Office365 and I assume that if it was backed by Microsoft it must be reliable and fairly decent.

tmh106 wrote: »
    Why do you say that? Not disagreeing with you, I don't know enough about this stuff to know one way or the other. Just curious because I was tending towards Onedrive because I got an account on it with Office365 and I assume that if it was backed by Microsoft it must be reliable and fairly decent.
    Don't you get a one drive account with a window phone? sure i got one but did not use it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

whatsapp is useful for this

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

You could create a free wordpress website and password protect it.

PLL wrote: »
    You could create a free wordpress website and password protect it.

you could also register a website and redirect to a free wordpress so only cost of registration no hosting fee

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Oldenboard

An easy to access, but not search engine indexed online photo album is Photo on Web. Though it compresses the images more than Flickr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i use onedrive for all my backup and for sharing folders with family - no issue with it and find it v. convenient.

Advertisement