Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thailand

Options
  • 03-06-2016 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, hoping to Go to the Thai islands in July. Few questions,
    A. What are the best islands to go see. I am not going to party. Looking for quiet more picturesque ones
    B. Is it safe for girl on her own?
    C. What kind of accommodation is the best? Hotels , beach huts or hostels?

Thanks for help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

Molly999 wrote: »
    Hi, hoping to Go to the Thai islands in July. Few questions,
    A. What are the best islands to go see. I am not going to party. Looking for quiet more picturesque ones
    B. Is it safe for girl on her own?
    C. What kind of accommodation is the best? Hotels , beach huts or hostels?

Thanks for help.

Koh Chang sounds perfect for you.Very quiet and easy going,hire a scooter and
    go exploring,its beautiful.
    Stay on the west side and watch the sun setting.
    July is low season so it will be very quiet there.I would have zero fears safety wise.No sleaze or the 'likes' there either..!!
    A beach hut is the way to go,the water is very warm there.
    My favourite part of Thailand.
    If you are coming from Bangkok the buses will bring you to the door of your accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Molly999

Thanks for that recommendation. Are there other islands the same side? Going for three weeks so want to see a few islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Molly

Alas You have picked the wrong time of the year, as the monsoons are in full flow. The best island to visit is way down south in Satun Province, but at this time of year the ferries don't sail there. The island is called Tarutao.

As the monsoons are in full flow now, You would be ebst staying on the eastern side of the peninsula. Stratowide speaks a lot of sense, and if I could throw another name into the mix, have a look at Koh Kood.

Are You spending some time in BKK? There are some amazing shopping centres there.............. One must never be to BKK and not visit Terminal 21 - probably the most amazing SC I have been in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I was in Thailand for 5 or so weeks in June and July a few years ago. Monsoons never affected anything on us, bit of rain some evenings and about 3 days of rain while in phi phi but other than that it was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭roadrunnermick

Latest reports from Thailand is not the best weather wise , I am in the same boat as the OP , going to keep travelling Europe till substantive improvement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If you're a solo female, but willing to meet others and form a group / family, then stay in decent hostels. My GF and I stayed in hotels but were quite out-going and on our 4 months (first time) and subsequent 1 month holidays to SE Asia, we spent very little time alone... we were always in a group.

As said, July will be wet, but don't let it stop you. One thing to be wary of is cancelled ferries.

If you wanted truly lovely island, i'd be saying Koh Lipe, right down by the Malaysian border. We spent 4 nights there and were glad we did. It was also a breeze to get to.... 1,500 baht "fly n' ferry" from NokAir from Bangkok (DMK airport) down South and then something like a half hour bus ride and ferry.... totally stress free.
    That said, you may not have time to do this. And I will say one thing... it was one time that we were alone just the 2 of us... it's not a place people to go party (bars etc. there but very relaxed).

PhiPhi is 'meh', but i'd always tell someone to do it once.

Samui = May aswell be in Tenerife, I didn't like it, just used it to transit

Don't knock Koh Phangan / Koh Tao. Phangan has rep for the full moon, but go 10 minutes north and it's like you're on a different island. That's why I (and many others) love the island, it's so diverse. One night we were going mad at Haad Rin at the full moon, next night we were on the NW of the island in a luxury resort.

Koh Tao = Lovely island. Obviously has bad reputation after 'issues' over the past few years. That said, i've been going there for 5 years and never had a single issue.

Never been to the islands east of Bangkok, so can't help there, sorry.

Someone mentioned above about renting a bike. Best advise I can give there is that if it will be your first time driving, or you're a newbie, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT... not the place to learn. If you're experienced, why not?! I've been driving bikes for about 13 years and I rented everything from Kawasaki 600cc's to 125cc mopeds (no 50cc's over there that I ever saw) and never had a single issue. That said, I said more injuries on others than I care to recall.

Bangkok - An amazing city, every time we go to Thailand we spend 3 days on arrival / 3 days on exit. On arrival is to party / sight see etc. (I also visit Klong Toey slums and visit foreign inmates in Bangkwang Central Prison) and the 3 days on exit consists of shopping (and i'm a guy... it's brilliant for shopping)

-PS- As mentioned above, get a Thai SIM in the airport on arrival. Do a quick Google, you can get a 30 day Phone / Txt / Data SIM for about 800 baht (don't quote me on that price, just remember it approx.) - the data will come in useful, trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Molly999

Thanks everyone for your replies. At this stage it will be August before I actually get going. Anyone been there then? What's it like weather wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Molly999 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your replies. At this stage it will be August before I actually get going. Anyone been there then? What's it like weather wise?

Same as July pretty much.

• Advertisement

Molly am sorry to have to let You know the monsoons are pretty much an ongoing weather factor until November.

As said above, the cancelling of ferries at the last minute is an ongoing thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭unjedilike

Here right now and it's lovely, around 30 in Bangkok, no rain. Off to Chiang Mai now where it'll be a little cooler. First time here, amazing place

Advertisement