Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airlines.....The great summer rip off

Options
  • 03-06-2016 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

So the annual summer mugging of Paddy starts again. Family of 5 from 'any' Irish airport to Malaga will set you back around €2200 euro the first weekend in July returning 10-14 days later.
    If you have the option to fly from Dublin via the UK you can get the same trip for €1300 less ...yes 1300 less. A return can be had for as little as €700.
    Now I appreciate that the UK summer hols have not started but it just seems that the prices charged in Ireland are artificially high.
    I'll be using the 1300 to spend on the family in Spain rather than give it to our 'low fare ' friends

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

a clanger wrote: »
    So the annual summer mugging of Paddy starts again. Family of 5 from 'any' Irish airport to Malaga will set you back around €2200 euro the first weekend in July returning 10-14 days later.
    If you have the option to fly from Dublin via the UK you can get the same trip for €1300 less ...yes 1300 less. A return can be had for as little as €700.
    Now I appreciate that the UK summer hols have not started but it just seems that the prices charged in Ireland are artificially high.
    I'll be using the 1300 to spend on the family in Spain rather than give it to our 'low fare ' friends

Economy of scale. More flights from UK airports so lower prices. If you are happy to spend a full day traveling to and from Dublin via the UK and lose those days from your holiday along with the hassle of changing flights, you are on a winner. Personally I would pay the extra to arrive early on the date of departure and leave later on the day of return and have the 2 extra days.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Who is a moany Michael because they didn't book their holiday on time?

It's nothing to do with a rip off, it's simply down to supply and demand. More people want to go abroad from Ireland than there are flights (which have to be planned a season in advance)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Supply and demand my ass ...why would a company have assets and resources based in the UK when it can make 200% more by utilizing that asset on this island. Please don't tell use the excuse about planning. A company that make 1.3 billion profit knows all about planning and those 'fares' were planned !. The fact that there is such uniformity in the fares negates the supply demand theory.

Supply and demand my ass ...why would a company have assets and resources based in the UK when it can make 200% more by utilizing that asset on this island. Please don't tell use the excuse about planning. A company that make 1.3 billion profit knows all about planning and those 'fares' were planned !. The fact that there is such uniformity in the fares negates the supply demand theory.

I think j.pilkington is saying its your fault for not planning and booking earlier. You are now booking in peak season, and the supply & demand applies to all markets not just airlines.

Here's a quick lesson it supply and demand, when demand is high the vendor can charge more, when supply exceeds demand the vendor charges less. Demand in Ireland is high because it is high season and there are fewer seats because people who planned and booked earlier got cheaper fares, when supply is low and demand high for the remaining seats/hotels, prices rise. The U.K. has more flights so there is more supply, hence lower fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

What a pointless thread.

English School holidays 2016 19-07-2016 31-08-2016

so of course it isn't quite peak season in England. Nothing whatsoever to do with the airlines.

• Advertisement

What a pointless thread.

English School holidays 2016 19-07-2016 31-08-2016

so of course it isn't quite peak season in England. Nothing whatsoever to do with the airlines.

Good post, perhaps the op should try inputting the last 2 weeks of July and then checking what the price of flights are from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

I'm with OP, same with ferries, rip off

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You are looking at prices to book now - e.g. buy the last seats on the plane

It did not cost that much when they went on sale last Autumn.

UK prices right now are pointless to compare as all schools are still in. Your "appreciating" that doesn't stop you trying to make a nonsense comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Did a quick search for similar flights from a UK airport during their school summer holidays, it came to roughly 2170 Euro.

The moral of the story OP is book your flights in advance for next year and save us the hassle of having to point out how you are wrong again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Jeez, the OP has good intentions starting this thread and all they get is negative feedback. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jeez, the OP has good intentions starting this thread and all they get is negative feedback. :rolleyes:

Because its a forum for posting actual rip offs, not posting when you don't understand how airlines, travel, etc work.

Their "good intention" was to have a baseless rant and they're - appropriately - being called on it being baseless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

sugarman wrote: »
    The mind boggles, how do people like this get through life?

Expensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

L1011 wrote: »
    Because its a forum for posting actual rip offs, not posting when you don't understand how airlines, travel, etc work.

Their "good intention" was to have a baseless rant and they're - appropriately - being called on it being baseless.

While not quite a rant ...another point of all of this was to just highlight other options to people who don't have the luxury of booking in advance because leave is not approved / available etc. A great many of us are not on the 9-5 treadmill safe in the knowledge of A/L when we request it.
    Anyway I'll know in future that the self righteous book in advance mob will be waiting in the long grass .....oh to be organised and fulfilled as they are :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

While not quite a rant ...another point of all of this was to just highlight other options to people who don't have the luxury of booking in advance because leave is not approved / available etc. A great many of us are not on the 9-5 treadmill safe in the knowledge of A/L when we request it.
    Anyway I'll know in future that the self righteous book in advance mob will be waiting in the long grass .....oh to be organised and fulfilled as they are :p

Here's another saver tip for you, flights around the 3rd Thursday of November are really expensive in the US, to save money you can book flights from Cairo. Therefore based on your logic the US is a rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Just because you cant book holidays six months in advance doesnt make the cost a ripoff, the flights are available for everyone to book over a period of time, they dont have to make them cheaper once youve booked your time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So the annual summer mugging of Paddy starts again.
    The daily mugging of paddy will be happening in the next hour or so, when all the restaurants doing early bird offers raise their prices.

Many of us cannot get off work early enough to avail of them. It's a bloody disgrace how its allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

sugarman wrote: »
    Its gas, I booked the euros there about 6 months ago when the draw was made, got flights for €60 return, accommodation for 2 week for €150pps and transport between cities for €36. Happy days.

There's people going mental of football Facebook pages and football forums how its a "rip off" flights are 500quid each way to Paris 2 weeks before a major finals. Involving 23 other countries other than ireland, or how there's no accomadtion for under 500quid a night, or why trains are 100each way.

The mind boggles, how do people like this get through life?

Why take the plane to France when theres a ferry service which could be cheaper and no baggage restrictions. The public transport is decent enough too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

As has been mentioned above, the school holidays make a big difference. Maybe its higher demand, or maybe higher prices, but check this out.

I am going to Lanzarote on 21st June and back on July 5th. 3 adults, a teen and a child. Its peak in Ireland but not in the UK.

Preferred option is direct of course, but Ryanair is just short of 1500 euro plus luggage. So I went looking around.

Ryanair to Leeds Bradford that day, 8am, €9.99 each. Then Leeds Bradford to Lanzarote at noon, 62.99 sterling. Bottom line? Direct is 1500 euro. Via leeds, 1000 euro.

Think outside the box and save a pile. I did. That price was got two months ago and is still available right now. Check it.

Leeds airport is a dump and the transfer is unprotected with two sets of bag fees though.

Prices quoted are ex luggage. Using 1 adult and 1 half price child bag, I save over 500 euro. I can put up with a short transfer there to save that amount.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Leeds airport is a dump and the transfer is unprotected with two sets of bag fees though.

What do you mean "unprotected". I am aware FR are point to point and I will need to collect luggage and recheck again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

What do you mean "unprotected". I am aware FR are point to point and I will need to collect luggage and recheck again.

It means that if your initial flight is late/delayed, Ryanair have no responsibility for your missed onwards flight to Lanzarote. Those flights are lost & it's your problem.

Advertisement