Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a child baptised

Options
  • 03-06-2016 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Do you have to get your children baptised to get him into school? Went to a meeting last night and it really weirded me out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Micky8728 wrote: »
    Do you have to get your children baptised to get him into school? Went to a meeting last night and it really weirded me out

No. But in a lot of schools it'll put your child down towards the end of the list so if they run out of spaces before they get to your child then he / she won't get in.

Check the schools enrolment policy. For example here's a school close to me.

Category 1: Catholic children living in the parish together with siblings in the school.
    Category 2: Catholic children from outside of the parish who don't have a Catholic school in their parish.
    Category 3: All other children from inside the parish.
    Category 4: All other children from outside of the parish.

So in that school, you can be living beside the school but a baptised child from miles away will get preference. If the school is over subscribed then you're in trouble.

I have a new daughter and am in the process of putting her name down in our local schools. It is extremely tempting to stand up on an alter for an hour and repeat the mumbo jumbo just to ensure that she won't get turned down from our closest schools. I'm lucky that we have an educate together near us. But if that was full, we have to fall back on the Catholic schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Micky8728

Thanks for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Anyone know how easy it is to get your child baptised a protestant? They have a better school near us and junior may as well have another church not to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Anyone know how easy it is to get your child baptised a protestant? They have a better school near us and junior may as well have another church not to attend.

Depends on the flavor of protestant. Some of them will baptise you right on the spot but depends on the age of the convert.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It depends on where you live. My son isn't baptised but almost certainly has a place in a the nearest ET, potentially in a state Steiner and as none of the local national schools are over subscribed he could easily get a place in one of several RC schools. At least half of the school going children of my friends are not baptised and have had no issues whatsoever getting school places. Though demand is very high for the nearest ET and he only likely has a place there because I pre-enrolled him at 3.5 months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Will have to check enrollment policy. Might go for one of the new earth ones coz at least it will be something to giggle at if I ever go to a service.

Advertisement