Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone for Canada Trip

Options
  • 03-06-2016 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Tried searching there and possibly my brain cannot think of the right phrase to search for as I couldn't find anything recent about this.

Partner and myself are taking a trip to Canada in the next few weeks and we're with eirmobile bill pay which means 39c texts and 1.99 to make a call and 1.89 to receive a call.

We're not planning on doing different things and needing to keep in contact using mobiles to meet up again at any stage but always think it's useful to have a mobile each just in case so was trying to figure out what the best thing to do is with regards to mobile use in Canada.

I found a tripadvisor post that mentioned that possibly the best option is to purchase a cheap plan over there but I'm wondering if this is more hassle than it's worth and are we just better accepting the roaming charges and just make sure we text instead of call people if needed - has anyone been over for a holiday and what did they do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kate07

I think you need a SIN (social insurance number) to get a phone plan in Canada, not 100% on that but when i moved i had to have my sin and work permit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

kate07 wrote: »
    I think you need a SIN (social insurance number) to get a phone plan in Canada, not 100% on that but when i moved i had to have my sin and work permit

You might need SIN/Work Permit for a postpay contract but for prepay you do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Educate wrote: »
    Tried searching there and possibly my brain cannot think of the right phrase to search for as I couldn't find anything recent about this.

Partner and myself are taking a trip to Canada in the next few weeks and we're with eirmobile bill pay which means 39c texts and 1.99 to make a call and 1.89 to receive a call.

We're not planning on doing different things and needing to keep in contact using mobiles to meet up again at any stage but always think it's useful to have a mobile each just in case so was trying to figure out what the best thing to do is with regards to mobile use in Canada.

I found a tripadvisor post that mentioned that possibly the best option is to purchase a cheap plan over there but I'm wondering if this is more hassle than it's worth and are we just better accepting the roaming charges and just make sure we text instead of call people if needed - has anyone been over for a holiday and what did they do?

Mobiles are expensive business in Canada - depending on the length of the trip it might actually be cheaper just to pay the roaming charges.

A rundown of the various operators is here

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Canada

Advertisement