Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnetic Suspension

Options
  • 03-06-2016 2:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

When you oppose 2 magnets they push apart. I would have thought that this (scaled up) would be a good car suspension application. Springs weaken, Shock Absorbers leak and eventually become weak. Just thinking aloud really...:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

chillin117 wrote: »
    When you oppose 2 magnets they push apart. I would have thought that this (scaled up) would be a good car suspension application. Springs weaken, Shock Absorbers leak and eventually become weak. Just thinking aloud really...:confused:

this is a thing, it also allows for high speed spring rate adjustment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Only problem is you need lots of cold. And the cost. And other stuff. But still cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I would guess the main reason is it's heavy and consumes lots of power. Which goes against the general ethos of making cars these days.

There's also the problem of unreliability and how it would fail, should it fail. A problem with the cars electrics could result in suspension failure, if the engine cuts out it would result in suspension failure. Then there's just the fact it could fail, whereas cheaper springs always work, no external power source required.

Power requirements are going to mean it's going to need a bigger engine to both carry around the extra weight and provide enough juice to power the usual stuff like wheels and air conditioning on top of the new suspension system. Which all means more fuel consumption.

It's one of those things that's possible, but with too many drawbacks to make it feasible.

Advertisement