Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fiberglass

Options
  • 03-06-2016 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

dose any no it fiberglass under some parts of the underneath not sills will pass the DOE :confused:

thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

pongo69 wrote: »
    dose any no it fiberglass under some parts of the underneath not sills will pass the DOE :confused:

thanks for your help :)

it is it a structural part? If they can't see it they can't fail it but if it's a structural area you'd be mad to try to get away with it for your own and others safety.

Fiberglass is a very difficult material to work against gravity and as P. says it's just for cosmetics.

I've two rear wheel arches, rear doors, passenger door patch, 3 "firewall" patches, 6 x 3mm ali. plate reinforced floor panels, a wing mirror brace, 2 x roof patches, several side skirt patches, one side-skirt overlaid & reinforced with ali. chequer plate, and a demoted tow-bar patches (it's a step now) rebuilt in fiberglass. My grille contains more headlamp and filler than tin and steel.

It's all covered in seam sealer and a fresh layer of black stone-chip/shutz to make it an unfathomable ambiguous lumpification.

I've never had an issue on chassis integrity.
    The rules are they can't see rust, no sharp edges and impenetrable to a screwdriver poke.

If it's steel it requires new metal welded, if it's a brace it needs replacing.

The most economic fiberglass I know is as a roof cladding material. Fabric by the square meter and resin by the gallon.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pongo69

Fiberglass is a very difficult material to work against gravity and as P. says it's just for cosmetics.

I've two rear wheel arches, rear doors, passenger door patch, 3 "firewall" patches, 6 x 3mm ali. plate reinforced floor panels, a wing mirror brace, 2 x roof patches, several side skirt patches, one side-skirt overlaid & reinforced with ali. chequer plate, and a demoted tow-bar patches (it's a step now) rebuilt in fiberglass. My grille contains more headlamp and filler than tin and steel.

It's all covered in seam sealer and a fresh layer of black stone-chip/shutz to make it an unfathomable ambiguous lumpification.

I've never had an issue on chassis integrity.
    The rules are they can't see rust, no sharp edges and impenetrable to a screwdriver poke.

If it's steel it requires new metal welded, if it's a brace it needs replacing.

The most economic fiberglass I know is as a roof cladding material. Fabric by the square meter and resin by the gallon.

can you tell what are firewall patcheswhere do you get them & how do you use them

The firewall is the metal barrier between the engine and the cabin. The patches on mine are fiberglass replacing rotten tin to divert water ingress.

Advertisement