Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do I need to pass maths in the leaving cert to study in IADT?

Options
  • 03-06-2016 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I've been studying maths at higher level but I'm a bit worried that I might fail the paper next week. I'm considering dropping to ordinary level on the day but if I can get a place in IADT without passing maths then I think it'd be worth the risk to sit the higher level paper points-wise. I'm leaning towards Animation at the moment (though that might change, I'm doing a portfolio course next year so we'll see) and for the requirements it says 2HC3 and 4OD3 and says that foundation maths is acceptable but doesn't specify whether maths must be one if the subjects counted. Any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Eimear_97 wrote: »
    I've been studying maths at higher level but I'm a bit worried that I might fail the paper next week. I'm considering dropping to ordinary level on the day but if I can get a place in IADT without passing maths then I think it'd be worth the risk to sit the higher level paper points-wise. I'm leaning towards Animation at the moment (though that might change, I'm doing a portfolio course next year so we'll see) and for the requirements it says 2HC3 and 4OD3 and says that foundation maths is acceptable but doesn't specify whether maths must be one if the subjects counted. Any help would be appreciated :)

From what I know, it really is any 2 subjects passed with a minimum of honors C3 and 4 ordinary d3 or over. If you can get the course you want with those points then they'll accept you. Of course, getting better grades (points) will increase your chances.

I would imagine that if you get a C3 in Honours Religion and one in CSPE/Pastoral Care (or whatever it's called these days) will tick that box. The registry office at IADT is probably getting loads of calls like this these days and would be able to give you more up to date information.

I was in a similar situation in sixth year and was told that an A1 in Ordinary is worth a C3 in Honours. There was no way I was going to get a C3 in Honours, I was more than likely to fail it even with the study I was doing so I dropped down. It's a big hit in the amount of points you can get though so, with a bit of grit, you can get a C2/C1 or even scrape a B-grade then it's worth sticking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eimear_97

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately CSPE is only a Junior Cert subject, and I don't do exam religion but I'm confident that I can get those grades in my other six subjects :)
    There's also an extra 25 points going for higher level maths now (provided you pass), meaning a higher level D3 is worth more than an ordinary level A1 so if passing maths isn't required it's worth the risk!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Eimear_97 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help! Unfortunately CSPE is only a Junior Cert subject, and I don't do exam religion but I'm confident that I can get those grades in my other six subjects :)
    There's also an extra 25 points going for higher level maths now (provided you pass), meaning a higher level D3 is worth more than an ordinary level A1 so if passing maths isn't required it's worth the risk!

Ah, I'd heard about the maths bump but never looked into it. That's a handy little thing (didn't have it when I sat my Leaving Cert).

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

All of the details are here. Though I would contact admissions with specific queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Eimear_97

Thanks! Looks like I can still apply even if I fail maths :) yeah I'll send them an email just to make sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement