Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi Service [brakes]

Options
  • 02-06-2016 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

So, dropped my 2010 A5 to Audi for service this morning. Had requested a major service and timing belt replacement as it's at 106,000km and it has to be done before 110,000km. That's all fine.

He called me this afternoon and told me front and back brakes need doing too, at €369 a pop! This would include pads and discs. I was telling my sister this who told her OH who used to be an apprentice mechanic in Audi who said he'd be surprised if the discs also need replacing on a car with my mileage.

So wondering - any thoughts? Are they trying to pull the wool over my eyes or is this the usual kind of mileage that discs would get changed at?

I'm a bit sceptical too because he tried to sell me 2 new front tyres however when I got a puncture repaired last month the guy said I'd a few months at least left on them yet....

So....thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Lots of threads posted here where Audi have recommended replacing brakes where not needed.

Even if they were worn I'd get them done elsewhere a lot less.
    Saying that I'd there any reason why you're bringing it to Audi? An independent would do the same job with genuine parts a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SarahS2013

Yikes. I gave him the go ahead for the front brakes but don't think they're doing them until the morning. I might call him up and tell him to just do the pads?
    Brought it to Audi as I only bought it in November and it's got a full service history so thought I'd keep that up so that when I go to trade it in in 18months or so, it's still got a FSH.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    Yikes. I gave him the go ahead for the front brakes but don't think they're doing them until the morning. I might call him up and tell him to just do the pads?
    Brought it to Audi as I only bought it in November and it's got a full service history so thought I'd keep that up so that when I go to trade it in in 18months or so, it's still got a FSH.

If you take it somewhere else it will still have a FSH.

Imho once a car goes out of warranty there's no value in paying extra to a franchised dealer.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

SarahS2013 wrote: »
    So, dropped my 2010 A5 to Audi for service this morning. Had requested a major service and timing belt replacement as it's at 106,000km and it has to be done before 110,000km. That's all fine.

He called me this afternoon and told me front and back brakes need doing too, at €369 a pop! This would include pads and discs. I was telling my sister this who told her OH who used to be an apprentice mechanic in Audi who said he'd be surprised if the discs also need replacing on a car with my mileage.

So wondering - any thoughts? Are they trying to pull the wool over my eyes or is this the usual kind of mileage that discs would get changed at?

I'm a bit sceptical too because he tried to sell me 2 new front tyres however when I got a puncture repaired last month the guy said I'd a few months at least left on them yet....

So....thoughts?

I'm replacing brake pads on 2010 A4 with 123k miles (With originals on from new) and there's till a bit left on them. I can get mintex discs and pads for €95 for the pair (Excluding labour).

Go to an independent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

galwaytt wrote: »
    If you take it somewhere else it will still have a FSH.

Imho once a car goes out of warranty there's no value in paying extra to a franchised dealer.

There's plenty of value getting a 4 year old car (Especially and Audi) serviced in a franchised main dealer unless you're planning to drive the car into the ground.

A proper main dealer history will make a 4/5/6 year old car much easier to sell, and you can probably ask a little more for it too.

• Advertisement

There's plenty of value getting a 4 year old car (Especially and Audi) serviced in a franchised main dealer unless you're planning to drive the car into the ground.

A proper main dealer history will make a 4/5/6 year old car much easier to sell, and you can probably ask a little more for it too.

That was my thinking. Especially seeing as I'll probably trade up in the next 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nothin stopping you getting brakes done elsewhere and still having the audi stamp for basic servicing.

Good plan!

Advertisement