Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three kid seats in a car. Safest setup?

Options
  • 02-06-2016 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

My wife is having an argument with me at the moment about something I think is not at all worth fighting about. This is regarding having three child seats in a car with one adult.

Is it safe to have one child in the front seat and two in the back as long as you have the appropriate car seats for all etc.

Nav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does the car have Isofix connections for all seats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

The number one thing I would be pointing out to your wife - regardless of anything else - is that if something isn't safe on a long journey, it shouldn't be considered safe on a short hop either. It comes back to the old "ah sure it's only down the road", as if nothing ever happened down the road.

Either it's OK to have your kids in your car with your set up, or it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I ve a 7,6 and 5 yo and drive a focus. My three are all in booster seats and while i can put all 3 seats in the back i usually have one in the front seat. It gives them a bit more space and they prefer. They take turns at sitting in the front.

Their mother used to give out and say it was not allowed but now she does it too.

IMO its not something to fight over, cant see how you ruined her weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd have no problem with the set up in your car. In fact it's probably much safer in your car. Do all three car seats fit across the scenic ok? There's no buckle crunch? It's just that they're not three full seats so we didn't buy one for that reason.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have a Ford Galaxy and a Nissan Primera.
    Usually I drive the Galaxy with 2 kids in the 2nd row and 2 in the 3rd,if I a minding an extra 2 kids I put my eldest in the front.(7,6,5,3,2,2)
    When I have the Primera I get public transportor walk because you can not fit 3 seats across the back but if I had 3 I would put the eldest in the front and the others in the back.
    I don't do booster cushions because they are not safe in an accident.

I understand her point of view,if my husband every took the kids anywhere I would tell him to take my car,but unless there is a huge difference in ncap rating or age of the cars I wouldn't have too much of an issue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭ted1

January wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with the set up in your car. In fact it's probably much safer in your car. Do all three car seats fit across the scenic ok? There's no buckle crunch? It's just that they're not three full seats so we didn't buy one for that reason.

We've a grand scenic and it fits 3 car seats in the middle perfectly. Each seat is independent and can slide backwards and forwards.
    The front passenger and middle row have ISO, I have never checked the folding back row .

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NavNavSull

@AtlanticDawn
    Regarding Isofix - Both cars have it but we do not use it in either car as our youngest is past this now. Effectively both cars have identical seats and are appropriate for the kids age. Note that we don't use just booster for the toddlers. They both have the back and side impact things.

@StoryBud.
    I completely agree. It's either all or nothing. As most accidents occur in vicinity of home that should be priority. However my wife feels it is okay in our locality but not long journeys. Our locality is the edge of town and country roads.

@Owryan
    I agree also. The kids and I are happier. Of course the 4 and 5 yr old rotate the front seat. And I don't think it is something worth fighting about.

@January
    All kid seats fit well in the Grand Scenic but do not in the Megane.

@Moonbeam
    I understand her point of view also. You make a good point about the NCAP. Both cars are of same age (2010) and both have 5 star NCAP ratings. I feel that it is safer overall when they are split in mine with 1 in front and 2 in back. Less distraction for me.

Cheers for your opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

From what I've read online, a child in the front seat is just as safe as the back if in the correct booster seat etc. I follow a some rear facing groups and a big issue arises when you get to child 3 ( rear facing can be to 6 yrs old) and the seats are generally larger than boosters etc.

If a child is rear facing seat in the front, the airbag should be turned off. If the child is forward facing, the airbag should be on.

You could also drop into a rsa check it fits pop ups depending where you are in the country. They are very knowledgeable and helpful about hte seats and make sure they are correct for age/weight/car. Your wife could have a chat with them about her concerns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

There used to be 8 of us in the Datsun heading to Bettystown. with 2 in the boot, giving the fingers to the car behind.

Great times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It's fine for your child to be in the front, once in an appropriate restraint. My other half has no back seat, so we made sure to check this on the rsa website.
    You should, however (as dori_dormer mentioned) have the airbag on once your child is forward facing.
    Also- isofix isn't actually any safer than using a seat belt, once everything is installed properly. It's just the risk that everything won't be installed properly that makes isofix preferable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 NavNavSull

Thanks for correcting my (and my wife's) understanding of the airbag in front seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

I think your set up with the car seats is grand the, now regarding the wifey rabbiting on almost a week later--seriously get rid of her out of the equation and you will have room for a nice no nag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I didn't realise it was a Grand Scenic, they're fine to fit the 3 car seats so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

January wrote: »
    I didn't realise it was a Grand Scenic, they're fine to fit the 3 car seats so.

I have a normal scenic and have 3 full seats in back that move independently. use 3 seats in the back and all 3 seats have isofix

Advertisement