Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bell will not ring after change from Aritech to HKC system

Options
  • 01-06-2016 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

I swapped out my trusty Aritech CS350 today for an HKC Sw 1070.

Everything seems to be working OK but the external bell will not ring. It was working fine with the CS350 and will ring if I remove the BHO but will not ring on alarm activation or test. The internal bell is fine.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

podge3 wrote: »
    I swapped out my trusty Aritech CS350 today for an HKC Sw 1070.

Everything seems to be working OK but the external bell will not ring. It was working fine with the CS350 and will ring if I remove the BHO but will not ring on alarm activation or test. The internal bell is fine.

Any ideas anyone?

Have you separated the internal and external wiring as the 10/70 comes with its own output for the external bell, strobe and internal bell.
    Have you the wires in correctly into the bell itself and panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭podge3

altor wrote: »
    Have you separated the internal and external wiring as the 10/70 comes with its own output for the external bell, strobe and internal bell.
    Have you the wires in correctly into the bell itself and panel?
    The HKC is connected exactly as the Aritech, with the exception of the strobe i.e. ext bell + & -, BHO and tamp return.

The ext bell will ring if I remove the BHO but not when I activate the alarm or do a test.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Probably easier if you just post up all the connections on both the panel and the bell.
    Just so we can be sure we are not missing anything obvious.
    We can then narrow it down fairly quickly.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Probably easier if you just post up all the connections on both the panel and the bell.
    Just so we can be sure we are not missing anything obvious.
    We can then narrow it down fairly quickly.
    Looks like I'm gonna have to climb up to the bell box, something I was hoping to avoid!

I installed the alarm myself many years ago but I can't recall the bell box wiring.

I'll post back when I check it out.

The HKC is connected exactly as the Aritech, with the exception of the strobe i.e. ext bell + & -, BHO and tamp return.

The ext bell will ring if I remove the BHO but not when I activate the alarm or do a test.

That is the tamper on the bell activating.
    What type bell have you in place?

• Advertisement

I haven't got up to the bellbox yet (I need to get a ladder) but I found this in my alarm paraphernalia and I'm almost sure it the layout of my alarm panel.

Obviously it will be a HKC panel now where it says Aritech.

[IMG][/img]BB.jpeg

That is the tamper on the bell activating.
    What type bell have you in place?
    I thought the tamper return would activate the tamper?

Doesn't the BHO hold off the bell from ringing? When removed, it causes the bell to ring?

Its been a long time since I dealt with alarms so I may well be wrong :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It should
    Doesn't the BHO hold off the bell from ringing? When removed, it causes the bell to ring?
    Thats right.

Its been a long time since I dealt with alarms so I may well be wrong :D

Haha, yeah should of elaborated a bit more :D
    The external bell will activate as it thinks the bell has been tampered with at the panel end by the removing the BHO cable.

I haven't got up to the bellbox yet (I need to get a ladder) but I found this in my alarm paraphernalia and I'm almost sure it the layout of my alarm panel.

Obviously it will be a HKC panel now where it says Aritech.

[IMG][/img]BB.jpeg

Is standard wiring so you might just have a colour mixed up or something simple. Did you take note of the wiring config when you took the cables out from the 350?

• Advertisement

Haha, yeah should of elaborated a bit more :D
    The external bell will activate as it thinks the bell has been tampered with at the panel end by the removing the BHO cable.
    OK, understood now!

Is standard wiring so you might just have a colour mixed up or something simple. Did you take note of the wiring config when you took the cables out from the 350?
    I'm pretty sure the wiring is correct on the new panel. I wrote the original wiring scheme on the inside of the front panel cover when I fitted the alarm years ago and followed it again when wiring the HKC.

Well, I got it working. I don't really know what the problem was or what I did to fix it but it's working:o

All I did was disconnect all the wiring and reconnect and it worked. It was probably a loose connection or something but I had checked everything several times beforehand.

Anyhoo, all working now. Thanks for the help, lads.

A nice fine evening to take a look at the bell box..
    I'm curious to see the connections there.

KoolKid wrote: »
    A nice fine evening to take a look at the bell box..
    I'm curious to see the connections there.
    Thankfully I don't have to go to the bell box now:D. I'm now sitting in the sun enjoying a well earned cool beer:pac:

Actually I might have look next week as I need to check a CCTV camera near it.

However, as previously stated, I'm almost certain that the diagram I posted yesterday is the correct wiring but I will confirm if/when I open the bell box.

I have a few more questions on the HKC that you can hopefully help me with but I'll leave that 'til next week.

Thanks again.

Having beers meself. Enjoy. Just don't get the ladder out later after a few :):)

Well, I got it working. I don't really know what the problem was or what I did to fix it but it's working:o

All I did was disconnect all the wiring and reconnect and it worked. It was probably a loose connection or something but I had checked everything several times beforehand.

Anyhoo, all working now. Thanks for the help, lads.

Thanks for letting us know.
    Id say a loose connection if all it took was a redoing of the cables.

Advertisement