Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much tax back should I expect?

Options
  • 01-06-2016 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all,

I started my first employment in Ireland on the week commencing 9th May 2016. My employer has since said they will sort out my tax credits and will take upwards of 4 weeks. Since then I am being taxed on an emergency basis.

I understand I will get this overpaid tax returned to me however I wondered if I receive tax credits not received from the beginning of the tax year i.e. should I expect €3300 / 52 = €63per week x 18weeks to 9th May.

Happy hump day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,799 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did you fill in a Form 12a and send it to Revenue? (You need to do this if it's your first job in Ireland, no matter what your employer says). And did you say on it that either you are Irish, or that you intend to stay here for longer than 12 months?

If not, they then they are likely (but not guaranteed!) to put you on a Week 1 basis. If this happens, then you will be taxed as though you earned the same amount every week since 1 January. So you will get some back, but you won't get access to the tax credits from the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

Dropped the 12A form in today. Was advised another wait 2+weeks until it is sorted.

I stated I am Irish (from N.Ireland) but I plan to be down here permanently.

Did you fill in a Form 12a and send it to Revenue? (You need to do this if it's your first job in Ireland, no matter what your employer says). And did you say on it that either you are Irish, or that you intend to stay here for longer than 12 months?

If not, they then they are likely (but not guaranteed!) to put you on a Week 1 basis. If this happens, then you will be taxed as though you earned the same amount every week since 1 January. So you will get some back, but you won't get access to the tax credits from the start of the year.

Advertisement