Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

save the bru hostel name

Options
  • 01-06-2016 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

The Bru homeless hostel has the same name as the Bru backpackers hostel.
    This gives another great disadvantage to the homeless who are trying to save the hostel from closure this morning at the city council building at the quays.
    People simply do not understand what it is about.
    The homeless hostels of Dublin closing their doors and putting the homeless in the street.
    Did city council choose this name deliberately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Brú is Irish for hostel. Are you saying nobody should use it to describe a hostel?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

How are they at a disadvantage because of the name? Names can be changed. Easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

im sure the council have some other building set up ready for people stay in

to do otherwise in the current situation with homelessness would be idiotic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Is this the one across from the Coombe "lying in" hospital? Full name used to be Brú Chaoimhín AFAIK. Places like this should not be closed as there are still a lot of older men in and around the city who have used it through the years and who do not have anywhere else they can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I had no idea what this thread was about until I googled. I assume this is it?

http://www.thejournal.ie/bru-aimsir-hostel-protest-2763368-May2016/

A temporary cold weather hostel is being closed in summer (rightly or wrongly). What on earth does that have to do with its name?

As the other poster said above, Brú is just the Irish word for Hostel. The fact that it's used in two different hostels' names doesn't even qualify as a coincidence, it's just logical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It was only opened temporarily And everyone involved knew that so there's no point complaining about it

Brú is Irish for hostel. Are you saying nobody should use it to describe a hostel?

So you're telling me that Irn-Bru actually means Iron Hostel?

Also, I would love a bottle of it right now. The drink, not a hostel made out of iron.

Gatling wrote: »
    It was only opened temporarily And everyone involved knew that so there's no point complaining about it

Aside from the bizarre issue the OP has with the name, this "temporary" hostel has kept up to 100 people from sleeping rough. Those people will be back to sleeping in doorways again.

But yeah, they knew it was temporary so they shouldn't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bit stupid, like calling it Hostel Hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Bit stupid, like calling it Hostel Hostel.

Except they didn't. The correct name (from what I can tell) is the Brú Aimsir - the 'weather hostel'. (Although the grammar doesn't look right to me :))

I wonder if the OP is getting annoyed about the wrong part of the name - including 'aimsir' in the hostel's name marks it out as a temporary facility for the winter months. Anyway, I doubt the name can be blamed for the closure of a facility that has fulfilled its original purpose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement