Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HKC and home automation

• 31-05-2016 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

I have a HKC alarm system with the GSM module.

Is there any way to link this up to my home automation system, maybe via a raspberry pi or arduino, or would I have to do this via SMS.

Seems a bit pricey if i'm texting it to set or checking status constantly over SMS.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭altor

I have a HKC alarm system with the GSM module.

Is there any way to link this up to my home automation system, maybe via a raspberry pi or arduino, or would I have to do this via SMS.

Seems a bit pricey if i'm texting it to set or checking status constantly over SMS.

What HKC system and GSM have you installed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Sorry, yes that would help!

SW 1070 and GSM-Q

Sorry, yes that would help!

SW 1070 and GSM-Q

On the 10/70 there is two programmable outputs that can be controlled by using text.
    They are used in conjunction with a 240V - 12V relay to control electrical devices to switch on or off.
    In regard to your question the answer is no, these cant be used via a raspberry pi or arduino.

altor wrote: »
    On the 10/70 there is two programmable outputs that can be controlled by using text.
    They are used in conjunction with a 240V - 12V relay to control electrical devices to switch on or off.
    In regard to your question the answer is no, these cant be used via a raspberry pi or arduino.

Well that's dissapointing! Cheers for clearing it up though

Well that's dissapointing! Cheers for clearing it up though

Can a raspberry pi or arduino not be used to control relays to do the same thing?

• Advertisement

Can a raspberry pi or arduino not be used to control relays to do the same thing?

OK maybe i misunderstood.

yes both can control relays, so they should be able to control those relays in place of the GSM module, or am i still confused! :confused:

OK maybe i misunderstood.

yes both can control relays, so they should be able to control those relays in place of the GSM module, or am i still confused! :confused:

You will need the GSM for the alarm but if you want to control the relays for home automation you can just use the raspberry pi or arduino to do same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Guys I am wondering about the same things as the OP, but I am unsure of the exact model of my alarm. It is a SecureWatch and here is a pic of the panel. Does anyone know? See attached pic.

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Guys I am wondering about the same things as the OP, but I am unsure of the exact model of my alarm. It is a SecureWatch and here is a pic of the panel. Does anyone know? See attached pic.

It is a Securewatch system you have.
    Only way of known if its a 6/10 or 8/12 would be to look at the PCB in the control panel. The older systems would not would not have built in outputs that could be controlled by text like the 10/70 version. What was used was a GSM-P which had controllable outputs for home automation.

It is a Securewatch system you have.
    Only way of known if its a 6/10 or 8/12 would be to look at the PCB in the control panel. The older systems would not would not have built in outputs that could be controlled by text like the 10/70 version. What was used was a GSM-P which had controllable outputs for home automation.

Opened it up and it is an 8/12. Do I need a GSM-P or can I hook up an ardiuno or similar? Note: I am a programmer!

• Advertisement

Opened it up and it is an 8/12. Do I need a GSM-P or can I hook up an ardiuno or similar? Note: I am a programmer!

If you are looking to set this up and dont have the GSM-P Id got the ardiuno route. The GSM-P is now a finished product so cant be bought off a shelf.

If you are looking to set this up and dont have the GSM-P Id got the ardiuno route. The GSM-P is now a finished product so cant be bought off a shelf.

And can the ardiuno be notified on alarm trigger? And can it arm and disarm? That would be basically all I need.

And can the ardiuno be notified on alarm trigger? And can it arm and disarm? That would be basically all I need.

Id have a look over this thread,seems to be what you are looking for.

Wow altor thanks so much. This is perfect I am trilled others have done this with the 812.

Wow altor thanks so much. This is perfect I am trilled others have done this with the 812.

Happy I could point you in the right direction :D

Advertisement