Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degree or Masters without a diploma?

Options
  • 31-05-2016 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Seriously giving thought to taking up further education, preferably in the field of computer science. I hold a National Certificate in Computing from many moons ago and have 15+ years experience in IT under my belt.

Been looking at various colleges and courses in Dublin in dismay - it seems I would have to do a diploma first (two years). This would would mean I would have to spend four years in total in education, for a degree, and I just can't see the ROI at this stage of my career!

Has anyone gone straight to a degree or masters, without holding a diploma?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Speak to the admissions offices directly. You're a mature student with industry experience. Different rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I assume you are talking about an Institute of Technology?

If so, what you are probably looking for is exemptions and/or RPL - recognition of prior learning. Aside from not worrying about Leaving Cert results, your experience and prior qualifications may get you into 2nd year or possibly even 3rd year.

It depends on the college itself, your relevant experience and prior qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I'm about to complete a masters in Smurfit, and I know they admitted me based on work experience.

I would think it will be no problem in most places & for most courses, given your length of work experience. "Second chance education" is a lot of what the 3rd level system part time programs are about.

[Also, End of the day, they want your money and want to fill their courses! So its all well and good having very high admission standards, but it that means there are 5 folks on the course its bad for their bottom line!]

Advertisement