Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Replacement

Options
  • 31-05-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭

First of all apologies for another new thread but I didn't want to hijack someone else's. My laptop was robbed and I'm looking for a replacement that's around the level of my old one was when I bought it.

It was a 15.5 in Dell Inspiron, 2nd gen i5 processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB hard drive. Cost 600 in 2012. Suited me fine. I want something that's mainly recreational but also capable of running Office etc smoothly when required. Also something that will be somewhat future proofed and should do me a good few years. What would the equivalent be now? Was hoping for something around the 600-700 mark if possible.

I'm not much of a techie so don't know a lot more than i5 is better than i3 etc and each generation should be an upgrade on the last. What should I be looking out for?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Pentecost wrote: »
    First of all apologies for another new thread but I didn't want to hijack someone else's. My laptop was robbed and I'm looking for a replacement that's around the level of my old one was when I bought it.

It was a 15.5 in Dell Inspiron, 2nd gen i5 processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB hard drive. Cost 600 in 2012. Suited me fine. I want something that's mainly recreational but also capable of running Office etc smoothly when required. Also something that will be somewhat future proofed and should do me a good few years. What would the equivalent be now? Was hoping for something around the 600-700 mark if possible.

I'm not much of a techie so don't know a lot more than i5 is better than i3 etc and each generation should be an upgrade on the last. What should I be looking out for?

Thanks in advance.

Any laptop, not matter how cheap will run Office smoothly, so it sounds like your requirements are relatively basic. What kind of budget do you have?

A 6th generation core i processor would be ideal, this is the latest available. But nothing bad about getting a 5th either. These processors move from core i3, i5 up to i7, the higher the number the *better* the processor. But whether you would notice much/any difference with your usage is debatable.

Worth looking at Dells offerings, you could go for a similar inspiron laptop that you bought in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Having a look at a similar Dell Inspiron with 6th gen i5 8gb RAM 1TB storage. But the below deal looks good as well for a similar price.

How do the processors compare, I don't know a lot about AMD?

http://www.pcworld.ie/Mobile/Product/hp-envy-15ah150sa-156-laptop-silver/329480/396.0.0#ctl00_ctl00__nestedContent__mainpageContent_ProductFamilyDetailsView1_liProductDetails

Possibly it won't make much too much difference to me based on my usage but is there anything about the HP machine I should be aware of that would make it not as good a deal as it looks?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That HP seems to get mediocre reviews after a quick google:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/hp-envy-15-2015-1297108/review

I would always prefer Dell as a manufacturer too.

Advertisement