Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driveway Vehicle Sensor

Options
  • 30-05-2016 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Posting for a neighbour who asks about a low-cost ground sensor or beam sensor that can be positioned on a farmyard driveway and will alert house occupants of vehicles passing on the driveway? Not looking for complicated CCTV or expensive gadgetry - a simple unit would suffice. The distance from driveway to house is about 30 metres. I've searched on-line but would prefer advise from anyone with direct experience of any such devise.
    Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Aldi have these occasionally. Got one about a month or two ago for about 16e iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Logo

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Aldi have these occasionally. Got one about a month or two ago for about 16e iirc

Hey thanks. I've come across home security systems in Lidl/Aldi but not 30M driveway sensors. Any help in what it's called or what to look for? Cheers!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don't know what these external point to point detectors cost, but they will do the job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The latest Hikvision CCTV DVR's have a great feture where you can draw an imaginary line on the screen (your driveway) and if someone crosses that line it will generate an email, push notifcation, beep on the recorder or all three. You can also programme it to only generate an alert if the line is crossed from one direction and ignore it being broken from the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Logo wrote: »
    Posting for a neighbour who asks about a low-cost ground sensor or beam sensor that can be positioned on a farmyard driveway and will alert house occupants of vehicles passing on the driveway? Not looking for complicated CCTV or expensive gadgetry - a simple unit would suffice. The distance from driveway to house is about 30 metres. I've searched on-line but would prefer advise from anyone with direct experience of any such devise.

What do you mean by passing on the driveway?

Are folk driving up, snooping and then going back out or is it so the house occupants can put the kettle on?

If the former, a decent dummy, Numberplate quality type CCTV box, that is visible from the drive way, would be a consideration.

They get spotted by shoppers very early on and cuts down on the problem as word gets arounds: simples

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

You dont say how he wants to be notified of same.

If you could get a cable to the sensor you could use an outdoor detector with point to point. so if the beam is broken it can be used to trigger an alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Hey thanks. I've come across home security systems in Lidl/Aldi but not 30M driveway sensors. Any help in what it's called or what to look for? Cheers!

This has approx 120m range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

This is currently sitting in the 'while stocks last' part of the aldi site so I assume some stores still have them.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/hurry-while-stocks-last/hurry-while-stocks-last/ps/p/wireless-driveway-alarm-1/

Advertisement