Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie to the ring of kerry 2016

Options
  • 30-05-2016 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Myself and a few friends signed up to the Ring of Kerry 2016 as i thought it would be a great challenge. I'm new to road cycling (last year) and thought it would be great achievement to aim for. I've been doing some bits and pieces of training but not near as much as I had hoped as life is just hectic and long cycles are time consuming. Panic is starting to set in that i really wont be able for it. I managed 76miles yesterday average pace of 12.5miles an hour and 900ft of climbs in tota with a decent stop for a pub lunch!. But I was completely knackered and ready to keel over and I worry as with only 4/5 weeks to go, the actual cycle has alot more hills than that and another 35+miles to go.

I am looking for some genuine realistic advice from someone who has done the event before or has tackled it as a newbie before. I've read a few threads on here but seem to be getting alot of mixed messages.
    I am coming from the UK so doing the event will be a big expense for me and the group (getting ferry with the bike and accommodation etc). I could possibly pull out now before i book the ferry and give my ticket/ accommodation to a more willing and grateful soul! I dont want to go to such a big expense and not be able to finish it on the day. For the same reason I have started asking for sponsorship.

Any advice would be grateful appreciated. Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Aim to add another few miles a week and a little bit more climbing and you'll be grand. There'll be thousands there, many with less done and stops and support along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aoifebrady88

Thank you but not sure I have anything left in me for a few more miles or climbs and thats whats scaring me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

You'll be grand, the first 60km (40 miles) to the food stop is fairly flat so try and make up some time there. Between now and then yet and get 1 hilly spin on in to get the shock to legs out of the way. Where are you located we can advise on a spin?

Also ppl of all shapes and sizes on all sorts of contraptions did it. If you want to make sure you get back in time to enjoy the after party and that then leave at 6:30am, should have you back for 4:30-5:30 pm averaging about 20kph with about 2 hours of stops. You might average faster but I'm just being conservative.

It winds down abit after 7 or so at the finish line so aim to be in no later than 5:30 pm if you want to catch that atmosphere and a few pints.

Edit: sorry just saw you live in the UK, can't recommend a spin over there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You'll be fine...leave early..cycle at your own pace and enjoy the day. You certainly won't be on your own at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Do it. You won't regret it.

Are you fueling yourself properly during your training rides? If you're feeling knackered, it might be that you're not eating and drinking enough. Others on here will probably give you some more exact advice, but I aim to eat something small every 45 minutes on a long cycle. Cereal bars, bananas, sandwiches, gels - whatever carbs work for you. Have more when you want it.

I'd say your training distance is enough to be honest. Do it again when you feel ready, and take your time, pacing yourself, eating regularly and even more importantly, drinking regularly. I've also read somewhere that it's more advantageous to ride for one hour on three different days in the week, than to ride for three hours once a week. So if you can fit in some shorter training rides, that'd help a lot too.

The extra mileage will fly by on the day. If it's your first sportive you'll be amazed at how much the buzz of the group will push you on.

Have fun. The Ring of Kerry is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 aoifebrady88

Thanks for the replies.

I live in liverpool, which is quite flat so my rides so far haven't been very adventurous in that respect. I did one ride in peak district recently - had 4000ft of climbs but with that i could only manage 40miles with that level of climbing. I am seriously worried.

Some of you have said to start earlier. We have been assigned a start time of 730. I was also keen to start earlier knowing that it will prob take us longer than average, do you know if we can do this, are they flexible?

I did the ROK in 2011.. Back the the start time was more of a "request/recommendation" :)
    ( they sent an email asking us "club cyclists" to start at 6.30am!) there was no way I was getting up that early as the B&B we we're staying in did breakfast from 7am! :)

So yes, I've no doubt you can start whenever you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

I'm training for my first Ring of Kerry also . Only started on bike a few months ago. I've done 80k as my longest cycle to date , I don't plan on going much further than 110k ( another cycle I've entered before Ring) . 76miles is like 120km I reckon that be loads , the Ring training plan has a 70km longest ride on it .
    Coming from a running background I'm finding cycling incredibly boring, with running I'd listen to a podcast but nervous about listening to ear phones while riding a bike. I'm also finding it hard to get a decent workout , a park run tires me out more than a 3 hour cycle, looking forward to cycling with others in a group .

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭bman1

Just my 2 cents... so I started cycling early last year. Really just with the aim of doing the ring. Made the mistake of driving the ring and arriving at coomakista and looked up ahead and said no way I'll be able to do this. Then travelled on and saw what molls was like and said defo can't do this. I might just add I live locally in kerry (castlemaine) but it's been years since I had been around the ring. So kinda gave up cycling for a few weeks, felt useless. But I couldn't let it beat me so started back in training. I was doing 3 spins a week, 50km odd on a Tuesday and Thursday and a longer spin on Sundays. Longest spin I did before the ring was 100km. Always cycled on my own, wasn't confident enough to join a club. So the morning of the ring arrived and I set off at 6 am on the dot. Was in cahersiveen for 9. Coomakista wasn't even that bad. Sum people think the downhill part of molls is the best bit but my favourite bit of the day was the downhill bit from coomakista. Being honest it felt like a long long spin on to Kenmare. Stopped at the food stop and the break was good for the body, had a bit to eat. Off again to the top of molls and in my opinion it wasn't so much steep more so just long, rounding corners hoping the top was around the next corner. Got to the top and free wheeled for a bit, still a decent spin back into killarney (21km I think?) So don't go mad on the downhill bit, keep sumthing in the tank. The last few km I just got this feeling like I've done it, the body felt suddenly fresh and the few of us that had randomly bunched up towards the finish even had a sprint to the line with one of the cycling marshal fellas in the pink jerseys! Was back for 2pm exactly. I know this is a long post but I was in ur position last year, doubting myself. So my advice, do ur own speed. It's not a race. You won't be first but you won't be last. When you round the corner at the plaza hotel and the finish line is there in front of you your smile will be as big as mine was.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Did it in 2014 for the first time. Was on a hybrid back then and before the cycle the most I'd done in one go was 100km or thereabouts and that was with only about 450m of climbing.

The ROK isn't a doddle but if you've put in 100k plus cycles and done the kind of climbing you have you'll get through it.

The worst part of the day really is all the bike envy you go through. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Coming from a running.... ..... I'm also finding it hard to get a decent workout , a park run tires me out more than a 3 hour cycle .....

Just go faster???? I don't mean to be cheeky but isn't that one of the great things about cycling - you can make any ride as hard as you want

I'm training for my first Ring of Kerry also . Only started on bike a few months ago. I've done 80k as my longest cycle to date , I don't plan on going much further than 110k ( another cycle I've entered before Ring) . 76miles is like 120km I reckon that be loads , the Ring training plan has a 70km longest ride on it .
    Coming from a running background I'm finding cycling incredibly boring, with running I'd listen to a podcast but nervous about listening to ear phones while riding a bike. I'm also finding it hard to get a decent workout , a park run tires me out more than a 3 hour cycle, looking forward to cycling with others in a group .

The ROK will be your first Group ride?? what an intro! :)

This might Help:
    http://thechaingang.cc/training-routes/cycling-etiquette/

Unwritten Rules of Group Riding
    •Be aware that everything you do has a knock-on effect on everyone behind and beside you.
    •You are responsible for the safety of everyone around you as you are for your own well being.
    •Don’t half wheel. When you hit the front, keep the pace consistent and matched to your riding partner. Some groups allow the cyclist on the left-hand side dictate the pace.
    •When you hit a hill, maintain your effort level, not your speed.
    •When you come through for your turn and move over to the recovering line, do so smoothly and close to the rider you are taking over from. Don t leave them with a massive gap.
    •Don’t leave gaps. Full stop.
    •If you are struggling to close a gap, wave the rider behind you through.
    •Do your fair share of work at the front – no club needs a ‘tail gunner’. Forget any nonsense about saving yourself on a club run. If you are hanging and can’t take a turn, stay back rather than disrupt the rhythm of those who are working.
    •If you are feeling strong and someone else is suffering, give them a shove on the back to help them back onto a wheel. Keeping gaps closed will ensure the group stays together and you’ll maintain the pace better.
    •If someone gives you a shove, accept it graciously. Everyone has bad moments.
    •Always carry the tubes, pumps, food and tools you need to look after yourself and your bike.
    •Don’t nail yourself trying to do super-hard turns if the pace is above what you are capable of or you know you are tiring. If you start to get dropped, the group will have to slow down to look after you, or in some cases you will be abandoned.
    •Don’t ever sit at the back on a group ride doing nothing all day and then brake cover simply to win a town-sign sprint or hill climb. If you are that strong, get yourself to the front. You are there to work and get fitter.
    •If someone is repeatedly making mistakes, tell them discreetly towards the end of the ride. Don’t shout at them in the heat of the moment. If it’s you being given constructive criticism, then try to learn from it.
    •Show your respect for other cyclists and the drivers with whom we share the road. A smile and a wave go a long way if a driver has waited for a cyclist to get through a junction. Say hello to other cyclists on the road as you pass. We are kindred spirits, connected by our passion.

Oh yeah, never spit when other riders are too close behind you…

All this information and more is contained in a document prepared for new and novice cyclists by the club available HERE for download. Note this is not a definitive guide but won’t see anyone too far wrong.

Just go faster???? I don't mean to be cheeky but isn't that one of the great things about cycling - you can make any ride as hard as you want

Im going fairly fast , I've a fear of pedestrians standing out in front of me or a car cutting me up to go too much faster. In Dublin I find in fairy limited about how fast I can go before I hit another set of lights. Only time I'd be pushing it is up village side of howth . I've done 3 times up and over howth to help train for ring but it got a bit monotonous . Do most people train in groups ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Myself and a few friends signed up to the Ring of Kerry 2016 as i thought it would be a great challenge. I'm new to road cycling (last year) and thought it would be great achievement to aim for. I've been doing some bits and pieces of training but not near as much as I had hoped as life is just hectic and long cycles are time consuming. Panic is starting to set in that i really wont be able for it. I managed 76miles yesterday average pace of 12.5miles an hour and 900ft of climbs in tota with a decent stop for a pub lunch!. But I was completely knackered and ready to keel over and I worry as with only 4/5 weeks to go, the actual cycle has alot more hills than that and another 35+miles to go.

I am looking for some genuine realistic advice from someone who has done the event before or has tackled it as a newbie before. I've read a few threads on here but seem to be getting alot of mixed messages.
    I am coming from the UK so doing the event will be a big expense for me and the group (getting ferry with the bike and accommodation etc). I could possibly pull out now before i book the ferry and give my ticket/ accommodation to a more willing and grateful soul! I dont want to go to such a big expense and not be able to finish it on the day. For the same reason I have started asking for sponsorship.

Any advice would be grateful appreciated. Many thanks
    morning OP, my tuppence worth is a lot like the others on here, just do it, the buzz of the day will carry you on a lot, enjoy the rest stops, eat and drink plenty, IMHO hydration is so imprtant, the last thing you want is to get the bonk or cramps. dont worry if almost everyone is passing you by, everyone doing the ROK was a newbie at somestage, the majority of riders will encourage you if they see you are struggling some may even offer you a wheel or a bit of company for a bit of the way.

when you have done it you will wonder what you were fretting over.

+1 on the bring spares tubes tools etc.

& dont forget to enjoy yourself!

Im going fairly fast , I've a fear of pedestrians standing out in front of me or a car cutting me up to go too much faster. In Dublin I find in fairy limited about how fast I can go before I hit another set of lights. Only time I'd be pushing it is up village side of howth . I've done 3 times up and over howth to help train for ring but it got a bit monotonous . Do most people train in groups ?

Yes! why don't you Join a cycling Club?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yes! why don't you Join a cycling Club?

It's something I will certainly look into, only cycling a few months don't want to embarrass myself turning up cycling alongside club riders just yet! Some great tips there on group riding thanks , had no idea of most of them. I'm doing cycleattaxia before Kerry so that will give me a good feel of cycling with others.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I managed 76miles yesterday average pace of 12.5miles an hour and 900ft of climbs in tota with a decent stop for a pub lunch!. But I was completely knackered and ready to keel over and I worry as with only 4/5 weeks to go, the actual cycle has alot more hills than that and another 35+miles to go.
    I did the Ring of Beara last weekend (which is tougher than the ROK according to mates who've done both). The most I'd cycled was 90k ever, and two weeks before a 65k cycle was leaving me depleted and the body in bits.

What you underestimate about this type of event is the time you have to do the ride, and all the food and fun stops along the way. When you do training cycles, it's usually under time pressure and just about getting in the miles. This is all about enjoying the ride along with thousands of others of all standards.

Keep grazing food and drinking throughout, relax, and you'll have absolutely no problems.

It's something I will certainly look into, only cycling a few months don't want to embarrass myself turning up cycling alongside club riders just yet! Some great tips there on group riding thanks , had no idea of most of them. I'm doing cycleattaxia before Kerry so that will give me a good feel of cycling with others.

See this is the part I don't get. the whole point of clubs is to cater for people who want to start cycling. All of us started at some point. I suspect your already at a higher level than you think!

07Lapierre wrote: »
    See this is the part I don't get. the whole point of clubs is to cater for people who want to start cycling. All of us started at some point. I suspect your already at a higher level than you think!

I only got clip in pedals last week , I'm waiting to fall over on my own first before doing it at a new club! Seriously though yeah I will definitely go along after Kerry to a club and give it a go thanks.
    I've just re read all them rules they will be a big help thanks. I'd no idea sitting on the back of a group be frowned upon I was planning to follow a group around Kerry that looked like they knew what they were doing ! That's that plan squashed!

I'm guessing these events don't have pacers ? Like a marathon or half marathon you can just pick a time and follow a pacer around , that be very handy if they did but can't see any mention of it anywhere .

• Advertisement

I was planning to follow a group around Kerry that looked like they knew what they were doing ! That's that plan squashed!

You can still do that, but just tell the others in the group what your doing.

I only got clip in pedals last week , I'm waiting to fall over on my own first before doing it at a new club! !

If you join a club, at least there will be a few people there to laugh at you when you fall! :p ( they'll help you get back up too)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

I only got clip in pedals last week , I'm waiting to fall over on my own first before doing it at a new club! Seriously though yeah I will definitely go along after Kerry to a club and give it a go thanks.
    I've just re read all them rules they will be a big help thanks. I'd no idea sitting on the back of a group be frowned upon I was planning to follow a group around Kerry that looked like they knew what they were doing ! That's that plan squashed!

There'll be so many cyclists on the ring it might be impossible not to join the back of a group. Similarly, impromptu groups form all along the route. You'll get chatting to people, and if you work together, you might get to take a pull at the front. Group riding saves a lot of energy and I find it removes a lot of the boredom you mention. Although, I've never found cycling boring. These little groups will also help the OP through it.

Why wait to join a club? In my club we have a newbie ride once a month. All sorts of abilities, nobody gets left behind or made feel inadequate. I've been cycling a few years now and despite experience with clipless pedals I fell over at the meeting point on my second ever club ride. A few "yaaaays" and that was the ice broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

cycleataxia is a good spin, well run & great food afterwards, the only issue I found is that they like to maintain a set speed for the entire spin, which can burn off some people (happened to me) I was blowing out the wrong end after 20-25 kms after going @ 27kmph a small wee hill somewhere in north Dublin had me in tatters!

as for falling wearing clip ins, I fell outside a church on my 1st spin as a funeral was leaving!

Bloggsie wrote: »
    cycleataxia is a good spin, well run & great food afterwards, the only issue I found is that they like to maintain a set speed for the entire spin, which can burn off some people (happened to me) I was blowing out the wrong end after 20-25 kms after going @ 27kmph a small wee hill somewhere in north Dublin had me in tatters!

as for falling wearing clip ins, I fell outside a church on my 1st spin as a funeral was leaving!

I reckon the same will happen me, Im hoping it be a good experience though in pacing , will have no idea what speed to start off , commuting I'm 28 average , going up and over howth a few times I'm nearer 26 average , I'll try keep a bit back first hour and push on then afterwards if I'm feeling good.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Take it easy on the climbs. There are just 2 climbs on the ROK and while neither are massive, the second one (Molls Gap) is the longer of the two. Just go slowly on them, don't try to get up quick and don't mind people passing you on them. That will leave you with more in the tank than if you tried to power up.
    The rest of the ROK is sitting in groups, having nice chats and eating your face off at the food stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Apart from the Weather .You are in control of Your Day on the ROK.
    Its not a Race and Nobody gives a damn how long it takes you.. It all about enjoying your day out and getting round.
    The biggest obstacle you will face between now and crossing the start in Killarney is your head.
    If you have done a 100km in training, on the cycle you are over halfway and so you have no option but to keep going;-).
    Even the 2 climbs are more a mental challenge as you can see people winding up the road in front of you and its your head will start the mind games. The body is stronger than the mind. You have all summer to recover.

Every year for the big challenge events we get threads like this . Search for last years RoK, Wicklow 200 ,Sean Kelly or Rebel Tour and read the first page. Then read the last 5 pages and see the reports from those who worried most.

OT. For those who say I'm not ready for a Club remember behind every Racer there is the 'Club Nobody gets Left Behind' spin where they started. The Leisure groups are not the guys you will see in the race pics or reports but they are out there

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

Oh, and another thing. Once you do finish it, you're going to be waiting for them to announce next years and asking on here if there's a calendar of events so you can plan your entire summer around them!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Just wondering - what is the normal speed of these cycles - or is that a 'how long is a piece of string' type question

• Advertisement

Just wondering - what is the normal speed of these cycles - or is that a 'how long is a piece of string' type question

Its not a race...go as fast or as slow as you want. there will be really fast and really slow riders on the day.

Advertisement