Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges....AGAIN!!! SORRY

Options
  • 30-05-2016 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Sorry for hassling ye with this but I've only just registered with boards and I'm hoping to get some information on the water charges situation.....I know, have I been in a cave for the last couple of years right!!!

Well I guess I was just ignoring it until recently.

My story :

I've been renting a room in a house share in an apartment since Nov'14. My name is not on the lease as it is a rolling contract and the management company would not put me on the lease. My flat mate has been there for 3 years previous to me moving in and is one of the original tenants, her name is on the lease. Irish water contacted her about registering before I ever moved into the property. She chose to ignore it and kept chucking the letters in the bin.....myself and the other person in the apartment were non-the-wiser to these letters.

So about xmas time in 2015 I started getting letters from Irish water (but they had my first name spelled wrong on the envelope). Thought nothing of it and spoke to my flat mates about it and they said to just chuck it. None of them were in agreement with the water charges and were not going to pay anyway....I sure as hell was not going to be paying for all of them, and besides I hadn't registered with them so how are they sending me letters, warnings and monthly bills. They even got my email address from somewhere and have been sending me emails about my water bills. As far as I was concerned I was not registered with any one at that address. I was having all my post sent to my family home because this was not a supposed to be a long term situation.

Now I have moved out of the apartment (19 months later), but technically I'm paid up until the middle of June. My flat mates have all decided to leave too (within the next month) so didn't bother advertising the room to rent in order for me to get my deposit back. They gave their months notice to the management company today and were told that the water charges had to be paid or they would be deducted from my deposit.

My question is to anyone on here that may have experienced the same thing with their rental accommodation....."What did ye do to get out of it, or what did ye do?" I didn't think a landlord OR management company could keep back money from a deposit in order to clear a bill, the bill belong to the person in residence at the time of the bill, not the new tenant. Will they follow me and add the bill onto my new accommodation??

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ask Irish Water then:

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1643

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lishy79

Clearly I'm not going to talk to Irish Water when I'm trying to get out of paying a bill!!!!!!

If you have nothing helpful to say then don't waste anyone's time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Why don't you take a look at the title of this forum and tell me what it has to do with Irish Water, unlike, say, the actual Irish Water forum?

If your response to someone pointing you in the right direction is to be be abusive, your stay here is to be a short one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lishy79

I didn't mean to be abusive, my apologies. I followed the link and there appeared to be people from Irish water on the side bar.....they are not who I want to talk to at all. I'll have a proper read later when I get home.

Again, did not mean to offend.
    Thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

It's not really an IW issue, it's a tenancy issue. You don't have a tenancy agreement, do you even have proof you paid a deposit? And if so on what grounds was it to be returned to you or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,720 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

The place for discussing whether it's a tenancy issue would be in our Accommodation & Property forum. As Spear pointed out, the issue is not up for discussion in this forum.

Thread closed.

-Shield.

Lishy79 wrote: »
    I didn't mean to be abusive, my apologies. I followed the link and there appeared to be people from Irish water on the side bar.....they are not who I want to talk to at all. I'll have a proper read later when I get home.

Again, did not mean to offend.
    Thanks for the link

There are indeed Irish Water staff there, but you're still free to discuss the issue amongst other users, it's not purely between you and IW staff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement