Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT)

Options
  • 30-05-2016 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,

I am a vintage car collector, and I just bought a car in England and would like to bring it back to Ireland, but I do not want to register it in Ireland. This is because the reg plate alone is valuable. My understanding of the situation is that if I register in Ireland I will have to hand over the British reg. I have paid the Irish car tax already.

I have read about being temporarily exempt from VRT but this seems to only last a year. Does anyone know if I could repeatedly apply to be exempt of VRT or is it a one time exemption? Additionally, does anyone know of a more permanent way of being exempt from Irish VRT?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think if you do not intend to ever use the car on a public road, you do not have to register it here. I could be wrong though...

What do you mean when you say you have paid Irish tax already?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5 subwoofer

Thanks for the response Esel... I have paid the Irish Motor Tax (for CO2 emissions).

I had thought of that too, but the problem is that the car needs to be driven every now and then to keep the engine healthy. So unfortunately I will have to drive the car every now and then. Do you think there is any way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can't pay Irish road tax unless you register the car in Ireland on Irish plates.

A vintage car wouldn't be taxed on co2

What you're saying doesn't make any sense.

How old is the car?

Are you living in Republic of Ireland?

I'm puzzled when you say you have paid motor tax here. Surely you had to have registered the car here before you could tax it?

Not your ornery onager

I paid around €50 for some form of tax or levy. I cant remember what it was called. But for the sake of the situation, lets just assume then that I haven't paid the tax.

Its from 1958, so nearly 60 years old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since it concerns a classic car I've moved it to the forum where people would have more experience with these cars and VRT.

From Revenue VRT site http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-vrt.html#question22
    What happens if I want to register a car which is more than 30 years of age, commonly referred to as a "vintage" vehicle?
    The vehicle must be brought to an NCTS centre with required documentation for examination and registration. A VRT Charge of €200 will apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

This is all very odd. To solve your problem, you could transfer the Uk reg to Retention and can then be used on any vehicle at a future time , including this one.

But it sounds to me as if you have already brought the car into Ireland under the VRT exemption, re-registered it and paid the Motor Tax for the year. In which case you're sunk as regards retaining the reg....

Esel wrote: »
    I think if you do not intend to ever use the car on a public road, you do not have to register it here. I could be wrong though...

What do you mean when you say you have paid Irish tax already?

u are wrong, the regs are very clear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

subwoofer wrote: »
    Hi there,

I am a vintage car collector, and I just bought a car in England and would like to bring it back to Ireland, but I do not want to register it in Ireland. This is because the reg plate alone is valuable. My understanding of the situation is that if I register in Ireland I will have to hand over the British reg. I have paid the Irish car tax already.

I have read about being temporarily exempt from VRT but this seems to only last a year. Does anyone know if I could repeatedly apply to be exempt of VRT or is it a one time exemption? Additionally, does anyone know of a more permanent way of being exempt from Irish VRT?

Thanks

Is it a DeLorean ?????

Esel wrote: »
    I'm puzzled when you say you have paid motor tax here. Surely you had to have registered the car here before you could tax it?

I don't think I have paid a motor tax in Ireland. I can't remember what I paid but it mustn't have been motor tax, as of course I would have to be registered already. I was mistaken.

• Advertisement

is the car in Ireland? Did you visit the NCTS for an inspection?

if it isn't / you didn't, put the reg number on retention in the UK, apply for a VRT exemption (which is permanent) and get it inspected by NCTS for free on arrival.

is the car in Ireland? Did you visit the NCTS for an inspection?

if it isn't / you didn't, put the reg number on retention in the UK, apply for a VRT exemption (which is permanent) and get it inspected by NCTS for free on arrival.

I think i'm going to give this a shot.. Thanks a million!

subwoofer wrote: »
    I think i'm going to give this a shot.. Thanks a million!

actually ive misread your post. If you've just bought the car, you aren't entitled to VRT exemption. VRT ill only be €200 anyway

Be sure to sort out the valuable plate as advised above before doing anything else. Otherwise it's worthless.

Not your ornery onager

The current (UK) Number can only be 'retained' by the registered UK Owner.
    If you do not have a UK address you cannot transfer ownership of this car into your name (as a UK resident) and then put the number on retention.
    If it really is that valuable perhaps you could contact some of the UK "Cherished Plate" Dealers and see if any of them will sell it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

The OP's question is baffling?! He's paid 'Irish tax' but 'didnt regsiter it here'?! Then he mentions 'CO2 emissions' - about a vintage/classic car?!

I dont think he is a "vintage car collector" - if he was he would know the situation about VRT already!

He would only be entitled to VRT exemption if he has owned the vehicle abroad for over 6 months (or is it a year?) ..or if the vehicle was being imported for use in search-and-rescue, etc - which it doesnt seem to be. It's all very bizzare imho!

....could be the 1st one in his "Collection".:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..something doesn't add up here. He wants to bring it in...but has already paid "Irish" tax. Has paid on "emissions " but car is 60 years old.. has paid €50 ....which doesn't match any rate here....and doesn't know to whom...

All very odd.

But if anything has been paid to Ireland then I'm afraid his cherished UK plate is already gone and he's lost it. Damhik...... [ groan..]

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

I reckon he's 'testing the waters' to see if he can carry out his ('wicked scheme') plan! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

KOP 77. Can you Phone me. Not able to message you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement