Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sand for between cobble?

Options
  • 30-05-2016 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭

Have the 'old style' cobble down around 5 years around my house.....between wind,heavy rain etc a lot of the original sand has gone from between the cobble which is allowing small weeds to grow in its place.I have a couple of questions.
    1- Is there a specific 'type of sand' best suited to buying and spreading out and sweeping back in between the cobble?....or will ordinary builders sand do?

2-have painstakingly removed all the weeds using a screwdriver over several evenings....should I spray the area first before replacing the cobble to retard any possible regrowth?....or should I put in sand first and then spray?

3-anyone recommend a spray that won't discolour the cobble and kills the weeds well.

Many thanks for any answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

It's known as silica sand or kiln dried sand. I use round up on my pavers spray first , leave it a day or two to dry fully then spread sand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Luckysasha wrote: »
    It's known as silica sand or kiln dried sand. I use round up on my pavers spray first , leave it a day or two to dry fully then spread sand

Thanks...where would you get that sand?...have a fairly big area to do...is it expensive?....would need the equivalent of around 5 or 6 barrowfuls of sand I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Contributor 2013

mix sand and concrete. youtube/google will answer for the ratio's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭secman

Roadstone paving centres usually stock it, comes in pre packed bags.

secman wrote: »
    Roadstone paving centres usually stock it, comes in pre packed bags.

Thanks...roughly how much per bag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

Thanks...where would you get that sand?...have a fairly big area to do...is it expensive?....would need the equivalent of around 5 or 6 barrowfuls of sand I would imagine.

5 or 6 bags seems a lot a driveway 20x 20 feet takes I reckon half to three quarter of a bag

Your only topping up what sand is missing so it won't take a lot. I resanded an area of 30ft X 15ft with two bags and that was after power washing. Only thing is the sand will keep even if the bag is open

Thanks for all replies....roughly how much a bag is the sand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

You can get it in B&Q as well - its about 6 or 7 euro a bag. And as said above, two bags will probably do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

I now have to do the same between my pavement slabs: Two questions

1: There is a moss growing between some of the slabs. When I power wash to clean the slabs will this get rid of it OR doI need to get some sort of moss killer?

2:

When this is spread does it set? Or is it when it rains Or am I thinking of something completely different?

• Advertisement

No it won't set when it rains if it's just silica sand you use. It will go hard if you apply a sealer to your pavers. This helps the next time you power wash it won't blow as much sand out. There is a product you can get for grouting between paving slabs called fuge. It will set like cement one it's wet but it's only for grouting large gaps. It wouldn't be recommended for brick pavers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

mix sand and concrete. youtube/google will answer for the ratio's.
    This is bad advice, do not do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Contributor 2013

rje66 wrote: »
    This is bad advice, do not do this.

hmm. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭rje66

hmm. Why?
    Cement will stain paving.

Advertisement