Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging Trellising

Options
  • 30-05-2016 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me have they any ideas on how to hang some trellising to a concrete wall but without nails? Im not really too keen on drilling through the wall with my limited experience!

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

meme74 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Can anyone tell me have they any ideas on how to hang some trellising to a concrete wall but without nails? Im not really too keen on drilling through the wall with my limited experience!

Thanks for your help!

Without trying to be a smart arse, but if you nail the trellis on with concrete nails, you wont have to drill the wall. Wear goggles, they have a tendency to spring out when you're hitting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭meme74

you would hammer nails into a concrete wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

masonry nails

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/masonry-nails/30172/1.5.1.2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

:D
    I would never use masonry nails with a hammer, its just too dammed dangerous.

For trellising, I normal drill and screw 3 by 1 timbers horizontally at centres to suit the trellis and then screw the trellis to the timbers.

Otherwise, drive stakes along the wall at the right centres and screw trellis to them.

If need be stakes can be held on top with a bit of galvo banding and two screws

When I am stuck with nails I use the attached

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

I wouldn't be too concerned about drilling into concrete block wall. I did it a couple of weeks ago and was surprised how easy it was, but it needed a bit of welly.

I used 6cm screws to attach the trellis and it worked out well. Give it a try - use goggles!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭meme74

Thanks for the replies, will give the drilling a go and hope for the best, definitely dont fancy trying to hammer nails into the wall! As I said limited experience so I could see that going very wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Given your lack of experience/awareness of masonry nails, I would just like to add that for drilling concrete you should use a drill that has 'hammer action', with a masonry drill-bit of suitable diameter for the plastic wall-plugs into which you will be screwing the screws. The most suitable screws are 3.5mm diameter (what used to be called "No 8) and the plugs for these are usually red. Anyhow it will indicate on the pack what size screws and drill-bit will suit those particular plugs.
    Don't forget to select screws that are long enough to go through the battens you will be using and go to at least three-quarters the depth of the plugs. The screws for attaching the trellis to the battens should be long enough to go through the trellis plus about 3/4 way through the battens - if they go right through the battens they will start to push them off the wall. If you buy proper treated, garden timber for the battens they will last as long as the trellis.

Advertisement