Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy (relatively new) Lenovo ThinkPad with Warranty

Options
  • 30-05-2016 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

These are my favorite laptops in terms of ease of use and sturdiness, but they seem mainly geared towards business customers.
    Anyone in Ireland have any positive experiences buying them from reliable sources?
    I bought one from ebay 2 years back but it doesn't turn on anymore :( thinking its not even worth trying to fix?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

stainluss wrote: »
    These are my favorite laptops in terms of ease of use and sturdiness, but they seem mainly geared towards business customers.
    Anyone in Ireland have any positive experiences buying them from reliable sources?
    I bought one from ebay 2 years back but it doesn't turn on anymore :( thinking its not even worth trying to fix?

Was it a second hand model that you bought? What exactly is wrong with it? It seems like it's worth investigating what has failed before giving up entirely!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Was it a second hand model that you bought? What exactly is wrong with it? It seems like it's worth investigating what has failed before giving up entirely!
    Yep, refurbished.
    Do you think so? It was a good model so I think it was something simple to do with the power or battery.
    I don't know anything about it but if its not too complex I'd happily grab a ammeter or ohmmeter and check things out (I do a bit of software dev but know nothing about hardware).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yep, refurbished.
    Do you think so? It was a good model so I think it was something simple to do with the power or battery.
    I don't know anything about it but if its not too complex I'd happily grab a ammeter or ohmmeter and check things out (I do a bit of software dev but know nothing about hardware).

Well I would be less likely to let things just fail without finding some root cause! But I'm an engineer, so it's in my blood!

Start with basics (although I'm sure you've checked...), are the power lights on the power brick? Do any lights show on the laptop at all when plugged in.

Does anything happen when you press the power button.

Presuming you get nothing out of the above, remove the battery (if possible...) and hold down the power button for a number of seconds; reinsert and plug in and attempt to power on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

These are also my favorite laptops, one reason for which is they last a long time. I'd say nothing turning on is most likelt caused by a dud power supply, or a dud battery, both aer super cheap to replace. Its certainly worth doing basic troubleshooting because it might only cost 20 quid to fix.

What model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

syklops wrote: »

These are also my favorite laptops, one reason for which is they last a long time. I'd say nothing turning on is most likelt caused by a dud power supply, or a dud battery, both aer super cheap to replace. Its certainly worth doing basic troubleshooting because it might only cost 20 quid to fix.

What model is it?
    T420 or T430 if memory serves, back in my home house but will bring it to the big shmoke next week for surgery ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement