Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 3

Options
  • 30-05-2016 4:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭

I am back playing this wonderful game again. Even though I finished playing the main storyline years ago, the beautiful Rook Islands keep calling me back to play a game of poker or whatever.

What made this game for me was the storyline and some interesting characters including weirdos and headcases. I'm going to play the main storyline again because I want to.

I just love the beautiful green mountainous islands with the palm trees, rivers with crystal clear water where you can see right down to bottom, the sunsets and the stars in the sky at night.

Far Cry 3 is simply one of the best games I have ever played.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Far Cry 3 followed up the strangest, most confrontational and generally fascinating AAA game in recent memory by replacing it with a much cleaner, safer game - for better in some regards (fewer respawning checkpoints, thank god) but for worse in terms of ambition and uniqueness. For all its mechanical improvements, graphical prowess and moderately interesting/engaged story, it turned the whole thing into a bland Ubisoft collectathon / checklist simulator at the same time.

I haven't tried any of the games since 3, but it seems they've now settled into that formula. I'd love to see them try something as audacious and unhinged as FC2 (a very flawed game, for sure) again because really I have very little interest in more of what FC3 etc... has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Because we really need a new thread for a 4 year old game

Original thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72685525

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

FC2 had interesting elements but it felt like such a step-backwards in gameplay mechanics with the constant respawning of NPCs within a very limited range and the malaria angle which could've been implemented much better, really brought down the experience overall.

I really liked FC3, was a much tighter and better produced game with actually interesting characters though it's story wasn't really up to much. I don't care for checklist / collecting items in games but genuinely had such fun with this game that I really enjoyed doing those tasks, especially taking all the bases. Also, Brian Tyler did a great job with the soundtrack.

FarCry "4" felt too similar and didn't feel like they moved a whole lot away from the previous game, felt very much like a mod overhaul or expansion and I just couldn't engage with the story or the characters. Grew bored of the game eventually as the spark just wasn't there for me.

Haven't played the new one so can't comment on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I liked it initially but it was boring for all its greenery and I stopped playing it pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Duggy747 wrote: »
    FarCry "4" felt too similar and didn't feel like they moved a whole lot away from the previous game, felt very much like a mod overhaul or expansion and I just couldn't engage with the story or the characters. Grew bored of the game eventually as the spark just wasn't there for me.

The characters in FC4 are boring and very forgettable. I had to force myself to finish that game. Didn't touch it in over a year and will probably never go near it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I found Far Cry 2 unengaging, Far Cry 4 was too big and focused too much on vertical space.

Far Cry 3 was perfect.

Blood Dragon was awesome too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

My problem with Far Cry 4 was I would be walking round minding my own business when suddenly I'd be attacked by a psychotic badger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

gimli2112 wrote: »
    My problem with Far Cry 4 was I would be walking round minding my own business when suddenly I'd be attacked by a psychotic badger.

Ha, those badgers sure could take a serious amount of gunfire. Random attacks are what actually bothered me a bit in FC4 from their frequency and I was convinced I was cursed from how often it happened to me.

Nothing like sneaking around a base when a fúckin' eagle comes out of nowhere and attacks, forcing me to flee while the enemies are oblivious to the mishap occurring right behind them.

Was like a bad comedy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I loved 2 but I got the later edition with the truck that could go through checkpoints without being destroyed. I also rearmed after after every mission so changed weapons.

Three was great for one play through but I tried to play it again and the cutscenes are too long. There are more rail sequenes than I would like and some missions are repetitive.

Four just didn't hold my attention. I was about 15 hours in, enjoyed the first dream missions with the tiger but the third one where you are flying was just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I only payed €4.99 for FC3 and I still feel like I wasted my money. Game treats you like a bleedin' idiot. Enemies wear crimson red in the jungle so you can see them a mile away you unattentive feck. There's a big 'fwump' noise whenever you so much as look at something that's interactable, just in case you forgot how to play games you big dummy. Sniper's use laser sights that fully track to their location as if there's smoke in the air, because you're uncautious and incapable of zeroing in on enemies using any kind of skill, sound or deduction. The map screen is really disconnected from the rest of the game in style and sound. You can't hear any amience while looking at in instead you get it's like you're underwater or something. Not that the ambience of the jungle was very atmospheric anyway.

I tried to mod away all these huge problems and added an even higher difficulty but it just made the game unbalanced rather than meaningfully difficult.

I'll play FC2 anyday. Sure it's dry, drap and the checkpoints respawn but it had better desperate, survivalist feel to it and I think the gunplay was better. The enemy banter, weapon choices and 'open world' was done better than 3. It had possibly the best map screen in video game history. At least in presentation... perhaps not function. I still have it installed. Picked it up on GOG on sale but originally played it on PS3, driving around with the sixaxis which is the only time I think it ever felt awesome to use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement