Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-letting maintenance check?

Options
  • 29-05-2016 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

At the risk of asking a stupid question... is it common place to get some kind of pre-letting maintenance check done on a house before renting it out?
    If so, what kind of companies do it? Property management? Specifically the galway area.
    I'm thinking more so for the first time a house will be let.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭islander222

At the risk of asking a stupid question... is it common place to get some kind of pre-letting maintenance check done on a house before renting it out?
    If so, what kind of companies do it? Property management? Specifically the galway area.
    I'm thinking more so for the first time a house will be let.
    Thanks!

I guess it was a stupid question :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

No question is stupid.

I don't know of anyone that would offer that service - but to be honest what would you require them to do - see if the place is liveable? Surely last person to live there knows of any issues. You could get a surveyor if it's any structural issues you're concerned about. Or do you mean someone who will advise if it meets the minimum requirements for rented accommodation. There is a list online, RTB website you could try. Or you could ask the local council if they would inspect the place as they are responsible for ensuring standards are met. If your renting under RAS, HAP or rent allowance tenants the place will be inspected anyway.

Apart from the latter I don't see a need to have someone look at it. Maybe live there for a week yourself and see if any issues. Your tenants will quickly tell you if there are any issues of concern to them.

Advertisement