Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a classic car from a non eu country

Options
  • 29-05-2016 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, i own a 1958 willys jeep back in mexico and I was thinking on bringing it here, I just want to know what would be the hassle if I do decide to make it happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I brought back a couple of trucks(80s 4X4s) from Australia. There is documentation/arranging transport at one end, and documentation/pre VRT inspection at this side.

It is a hassle but its straightforward enough and somewhat enjoyable learning how it works.

I drove one truck to the transportation company in the beginning in Feb and am just back from the NCT centre with my new reg today ( End of May) so one does need patience ;)

I would suggest doing some research on whats involved in exporting a car from Mexico first.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mvidega

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I brought back a couple of trucks(80s 4X4s) from Australia. There is documentation/arranging transport at one end, and documentation/pre VRT inspection at this side.

It is a hassle but its straightforward enough and somewhat enjoyable learning how it works.

I drove one truck to the transportation company in the beginning in Feb and am just back from the NCT centre with my new reg today ( End of May) so one does need patience ;)

I would suggest doing some research on whats involved in exporting a car from Mexico first.

Hey thanks!

Is there any info that you could spare on what you had to do back then? Just to use as reference.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Best to do some research and then am happy to clarify anything.
    Good starting point is getting a quote for shipping.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There'll be "port fees" to be tacked on to any shipping, too.

Then add Irish customs, VAT (23% on car value* + transport costs!), and of course 200 euro VRT.

Actually, if you own the car for 6 month already - there might be exceptions such as the one they have for VRT...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,967 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dades wrote: »
    VAT (23% on car value* + transport costs!)

+ insurance costs!

Pretty sure VAT is not based on the value of the car as such (like VRT i.e.), but on what the actual purchase price was

• Advertisement

Actually that's right - which means there's wiggle room in what number you base your VAT on.

When I brought in a car from Canada I had a *special* invoice from the seller for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Make sure you have some documentary evidence of using the vehicle for at least 6 months prior to shipping, which will eliminate the VRT aspect on this end. That caught me out last year.
    Evidence such as an insurance certificate or some form of road tax documentation in your name with the vehicles registration number (at least) should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If Brexit happens, all the cars brought in from the UK would have to have all these charges payable on them too.
    The only remaining RHD markets in the EU would be Cyprus and Malta (and most of their cars are ex-UK, so the already poor choice there would become poorer too).

^^

So VAT and customs duties on UK cars? That would displease me greatly.

That said, VAT should have been paid on everything prior to Brexit so that's unlikely to be an payable except for new.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dades wrote: »
    ^^

So VAT and customs duties on UK cars? That would displease me greatly.

That said, VAT should have been paid on everything prior to Brexit so that's unlikely to be an payable except for new.

Wouldn't matter when the VAT was paid, they'll be outside the single market so there'll be VAT due when importing.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Wouldn't matter when the VAT was paid, they'll be outside the single market so there'll be VAT due when importing.

Well, I'd like to think that, in the future (after a Brexit), if I was importing a UK-registered car that was sold new in the UK whilst the UK was still an EU-member, the fact that VAT would have been already paid within the EU would mean that it wasn't due again, but the people who would decide that are people who think that VRT is a legitimate tax, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Silvera

Type 17 wrote: »
    If Brexit happens, all the cars brought in from the UK would have to have all these charges payable on them too.
    The only remaining RHD markets in the EU would be Cyprus and Malta (and most of their cars are ex-UK, so the already poor choice there would become poorer too).

I wonder how soon after a 'Leave' vote would such charges come into effect??

Silvera wrote: »
    I wonder how soon after a 'Leave' vote would such charges come into effect??

UK politicians are talking about a few years of negotiations (a leaving target of 2020 was mentioned), so I doubt there will be an immediate rush in the world of classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Type 17 wrote: »
    UK politicians are talking about a few years of negotiations (a leaving target of 2020 was mentioned), so I doubt there will be an immediate rush in the world of classics.

Yeah. If they vote to exit the EU then the British gov have to submit a 'Leave request'. It's a minimum of a 2 year process according to current EU rules.

Advertisement