Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying property for cash.....tax implications

Options
  • 29-05-2016 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I am looking at buying a property for cash....100k. Am I going to run into any tax implication issues should I decide to sell again in a few years (capital gains tax??) I haven't paid cash for property before and I am unsure of possible future issues for me and my investment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

I am looking at buying a property for cash....100k. Am I going to run into any tax implication issues should I decide to sell again in a few years (capital gains tax??) I haven't paid cash for property before and I am unsure of possible future issues for me and my investment.

Well that's a real "it depends" isn't it!

What's the source of the 100k, and was it taxed when earned/accrued...?

As long as the executed deed shows the stamp duty value of 100k there is no "tax problem" on a subsequent sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭choppermutt

All coming from savings for the past 25 years. All tax fully paid. So - there isnt any issue once I pay the required stamp duty after purchase. Thats good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You shouldn't have any issues buying for cash. Believe it or not, there are a load of people buying for cash out there. Not everyone is with a mortgage.

As long as the cash is legitimate, no tax issues or anything different to what a mortgaged buyer will experience.

Advertisement