Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied maths, how is it studied in the US?

Options
  • 29-05-2016 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to look for the US equivalent of what is called Applied Maths here. it doesnt seem to be a stand alone subject that I can see. is it rolled up in something like maths for physics/engineering?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Quite a bit of it would fall under the remit of physics, and in particular mechanics.

What level are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

material that would broadly overlap with the LC course. I have a son that I am working ahead with Maths and I'd like for him to get a feel for the subject. It seems to be easier to find assessible material on US sites.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Dave0301

silverharp wrote: »
    material that would broadly overlap with the LC course. I have a son that I am working ahead with Maths and I'd like for him to get a feel for the subject. It seems to be easier to find assessible material on US sites.

The Applied Maths section on this site here is based on the Leaving Cert course.

The M1 and M2 section from the following UK site for A-Level maths students should be useful. M1 and M2 will cover equations of motion, projectile motion and Newton's Laws. Friction, statics and momentum and collisions is also covered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Mechanics for A-level by Bostock covers a lot of topics on the leaving cert Applied Maths syllabus, and more. Classic first year Engineering text book:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Mechanics-for-A-level/9780748725960

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

some good resources thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement