Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Economics in 6th year?

Options
  • 29-05-2016 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm currently in 5th year. I'm doing Chemistry, Physics and Biology but I'm finding physics hard. I'm going to study it throughout the summer to see if I can understand it more but if that doesn't work then I'm thinking of dropping it next year. I've heard that economics is a short enough course and I was just wondering if there's anybody that was in the same boat as me and took it up in 6th year? How did it work out for you? How did you find the coursework etc. Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

aibreann_ wrote: »
    I'm currently in 5th year. I'm doing Chemistry, Physics and Biology but I'm finding physics hard. I'm going to study it throughout the summer to see if I can understand it more but if that doesn't work then I'm thinking of dropping it next year. I've heard that economics is a short enough course and I was just wondering if there's anybody that was in the same boat as me and took it up in 6th year? How did it work out for you? How did you find the coursework etc. Thank you :)

I never done Economics so I can't really advise you there but in terms of Physics, I must say it kind of clicks into place eventually and becomes easier. What topics have you done thus far? I used to find mechanics very hard but over time in sixth year I just sort of started getting easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 aibreann_

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I never done Economics so I can't really advise you there but in terms of Physics, I must say it kind of clicks into place eventually and becomes easier. What topics have you done thus far? I used to find mechanics very hard but over time in sixth year I just sort of started getting easier.

The main topics I find hard are heat and mechanics! I understand the theory of it all but the equations are doing my head in! My only hope is that it'll start to make sense in sixth year. Thanks so much for getting back to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 swagmire

The main topics I find hard are heat and mechanics! I understand the theory of it all but the equations are doing my head in! My only hope is that it'll start to make sense in sixth year. Thanks so much for getting back to me!

Pick up economics. Maybe get a start over summer. Really predictable and can be bluffed. C1 easily bluffed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Well for mechanics all you really need to know are the Experiments and the Short Questions (which is usually just a definition or a short calculation or something) other than that you can skip question 6 and you have a choice with question 12. Some people in my class hate mechanics and stay away from it and they do fine so I wouldn't worry to much about it!

For Heat, the calculations can be tough but they don't change too much from year to year. Just keep practicing them over and over again! You'll get the hang of them eventually :) Honestly though, it sounds like you're only having trouble with the same stuff everyone else is having trouble with! I don't think you should give it up so easily! Especially if you're understanding the theory side of it fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 aibreann_

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Well for mechanics all you really need to know are the Experiments and the Short Questions (which is usually just a definition or a short calculation or something) other than that you can skip question 6 and you have a choice with question 12. Some people in my class hate mechanics and stay away from it and they do fine so I wouldn't worry to much about it!

For Heat, the calculations can be tough but they don't change too much from year to year. Just keep practicing them over and over again! You'll get the hang of them eventually :) Honestly though, it sounds like you're only having trouble with the same stuff everyone else is having trouble with! I don't think you should give it up so easily! Especially if you're understanding the theory side of it fine!

Yeah I completely understand the theory which is why I get so annoyed at myself when I can't understand the equations! I had it in my head that because I didn't understand them topics I was going to fail :) I'm going to work on it over the summer and fingers crossed it gets easier. Thanks so much for your help! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

I do Economics and physics and I'm going into sixth year next year. The way I see it is if you're going for a really high mark and want to get like 80% or higher you should definitely pick physics and work your arse off over the summer trying to understand the heat section (and the mechanics experiments). The percentage of people getting A1is much higher in physics.

Alternatively, if you're looking to pass or get a low B high C, pick economics. Over the summer, learn all of the demand/supply/elasticity section (usually question 1 on the papers), and then in sixth year, concentrate really hard on the micro section, and just do like 1 or 2 frequent macro topics like national income or something. Dont bother with the rest of the macro if youre just looking for a B/C. It would be very difficult imo to get an A if youre just picking up the subject in sixth year considering only 3% of candidates are awarded an A1 grade every year.

Hope this helps :)

Advertisement