Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to learn about Psychology, but not as a career.

Options
  • 28-05-2016 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm very interested in certain fields of psychology - social, criminal, and developmental.

I am not looking for a career in it, but just something to learn about.
    Unfortunately I'm working part time, so i don't have the funds, time, or am able to get financial help to go and do a full time degree in the subjects.

Is there any information/books/e-books/websites that could help?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Look for podcasts from universities, or the likes of Academic Earth.

Potentially loads of choice on books - so many subcategories you could look at in the 3 areas you mentioned from group dynamics to language acquisition. Maybe look up some college lecturers and see what they've written about.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

I'm interested in reading up on psychology too Just out of curiosity.

Can anyone recommend any really high level introductory books I could buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hilgard Atkinson Atkinson Introduction to psychology (or whatever its latest incarnation is) is the introductory psychology book.

More for the general public, try Jonathan Haidt - The Happiness Hypothesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Coffeeandtea

There are courses on a whole range of academic courses on future learn (Google it)...they are created and supervised by actual academics. ..I studied psychology at university level and I have been impressed with the courses on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Much of the good literature is behind subscription paywalls. Many large public libraries and university libraries have the subscriptions. Other academics may be willing to share their login with you "under the table". Not that I'm advocating anything underhanded; I had the occasional professor who coughed up a login when I asked how to get access to a journal article I thought would make a difference to an assignment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Kring et al's Abnormal Psych was one of our recommended ones for that module. I see it's had a few editions since I was a student.

Advertisement