Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equine number help

Options
  • 27-05-2016 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm looking to get an equine number. I just got a horse and brought him to the vet for the passport markings. I didn't know that you needed an equine number for the passport.
    My father has a farm and herd number. I have the use of an acre and a half field for my horse on this farm. Is it possible for me to apply for the equine number in my own name? My father doesn't want to have his herd number amended to included horses.

I'd appreciate any advice you have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Premises where equines are kept need to be registered. Is this what you mean? Or do you mean the microchip number? Equine premises are registered with your local council.

Also, horses are herd animals. Keeping one horse on its own will lead to behavioural problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

I mean my fathers farm has it's own herd number. Is it possible to get the equine premises number in my own name without having to involve my father. Can I just put the 1.5 acre field on my form?
    I got the horse micro chipped, that's not what I mean. I understand what you're saying about keeping one horse, thanks.

I don't know, sorry. My dad registered as he owned the property. I just gave him the money. He didn't have a herd number. I never heard before that an existing herd no. could be used. Hopefully someone else can help.

As far as I know it's the owner of the property that has to register not the owner of the horse. E.g. equestrian yards register and then anyone can keep any horse there.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

Thanks Cherry Blossom. I do know that a property with an existing herd number can just have the number amended to include horses.
    Anyway, I'll get it sorted somehow :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I know with us the herd number was the same for the equestrian premises - it was just updated. That number needs to be included on any entry forms for agricultural shows we enter.

It may be possible to get a separate number ad I know some people were able to get 2 herd numbers for the same farm (complicated process, but possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Baby_Bear

Yes it is possible to get your own just say that you are renting the stable/field and they will give you your own number

Advertisement