Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number of interviews for masters thesis

Options
  • 27-05-2016 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭

I know there isn't really a textbook answer for this but I'm wondering how many interviews would I need to conduct. Are we talking 3/10/20?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Gael23 wrote: »
    I know there isn't really a textbook answer for this but I'm wondering how many interviews would I need to conduct. Are we talking 3/10/20?

It depends on what you want to find out, who has the data you need and how much time you have. If one person had a particularly inspiring experience/viewpoint you could write a thesis around that one interview which then could be a long and very in depth interview. A ten minute interview will take an hour to transcribe so be careful!! 20 interviews is too many I would say as it will yield way too much data unless your interviews are very tight/constrained in which case you'd be using questionnaires instead I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

That's an extremely vague question.

What methodology are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    That's an extremely vague question.

What methodology are you using?

Most likely qualitative interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Most likely qualitative interviews.

Interviews are an instrument for gathering data, not a methodology.

Your methodology will give you an idea of how many interviews you should hold and what you will do with the data generated.

Advertisement