Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to jobs websites

Options
  • 27-05-2016 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi,

[Bit of a vague one for you. All input welcome.]

I'll currently looking for a new job. I have 15 years experience, mostly Java, MySQL and a mixed bag of other bits and pieces. More recently, I've been working on web-based stuff (traditional HTML/PHP/Javascript/CSS), which I'm actually more interested in. Most of that 15 years has been in the same company and I have designed and developed new products (hardware and software) which have been very successful. I also set up my own business, making software for people with disabilities, but struggled with the business side of things (specifically sales and marketing!). Don't want to go on too much about my experience but I feel I have a lot to offer and I'm still willing to learn new tricks!

I've been browsing the jobs websites but I have not found much of interest. To be honest, I'm not too keen on the job descriptions or the general 'ethos' of them. For example, the vast majority seem to be from recruitment agencies who tell you little or nothing about the actual company doing the hiring. Do I want to apply for a job that requires X, Y & Z skills with no other information? No.

If you'll indulge me, here are some of my preferences when it comes to a new role:
    I'm getting philosophical in my old age, 35 ;) and I'd like to work for a company/organisation that has a purpose greater than making money for its owners. I don't fancy the idea of working for a large company/multinational. Nor do I particularly want to work in a 'software' company. I'd rather be 'the software guy' in a small/medium company/org that does something else, if you know what I mean - Something with a social/cultural benefit would be good, perhaps in science/engineering/education/history/heritage. Good company ethos and happy/friendly work environment essential!

Like I said, the jobs websites so far have yielded nothing I'm even remotely interested in!

Anybody got any advice about where to look? Any good websites to recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I'm probably not the best person to atempt to answer this, but one thing I was always told is that most jobs are not advertised, instead they are filled through word of mouth or by direct approach from an individual.

If you want to find a company, try the direct approach. Also try letting your contacts know you are searching - their company's might not necessarily need somebody, but they might know someplace that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    If you'll indulge me, here are some of my preferences when it comes to a new role:
    I'm getting philosophical in my old age, 35 ;) and I'd like to work for a company/organisation that has a purpose greater than making money for its owners. I don't fancy the idea of working for a large company/multinational. Nor do I particularly want to work in a 'software' company. I'd rather be 'the software guy' in a small/medium company/org that does something else, if you know what I mean - Something with a social/cultural benefit would be good, perhaps in science/engineering/education/history/heritage. Good company ethos and happy/friendly work environment essential!

Like I said, the jobs websites so far have yielded nothing I'm even remotely interested in!

You won't generally find this sort of role on jobs boards as nobody is paying the recruiters to spam said boards. So you'll have to find jobs the old fashioned way pre-internet.

I'd suggest local jobs boards i.e. the paper ones hanging in your local super valu. I'd try asking advice from any local IT services shops serving local companies on whom to approach, most of them will have customers with technical needs exceeding what they can easily supply. Finally, don't discount your local chamber of commerce, or your local credit union, they'll be plugged into small medium sized companies with severe IT needs. Again, just wander down and simply ask for advice, you may get a few can't helps, but with a bit of persistence you'll bump into some font of information and knowledge. Irish small business is full of people whom know everyone and everyone's business locally.

I would say though you'll need to modify any wage expectations you might have. Irish small business pay a significant discount on what the multinationals and big companies pay. Expect a 20% pay reduction for similar work. You'll likely enjoy your work a lot more though, it won't be as pressured, and they'll be far more supportive to work for e.g. dropping out of the office for a few hours without warning for personal reasons.

Good luck with your search!

Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Linkedin.com

If you put up a good personal profile & CV, the companies will head-hunt you. You can flag your profile to say you're interesting in new jobs/opportunities, although you'll get a lot of recruiters asking to connect.
    A lot of companies put their job vacancies directly on their linkedin profile, bypassing the need to pay €5k + to recruitment agents.
    So there's a job search function on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Toptal is probably worth a mention if you are a freelancer

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Hi,

A HR professional would love hearing that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement