Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What text editor do you use ?

Options
  • 26-05-2016 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I'm still a beginner. I have been creating web sites, and most recently web applications for 2 years, during my college course. (2 years to go.)

Our introductory text editor was notepad++. Now i like it, but the interface and even the typeface isn't appealing to me anymore.

I have switched over the the cloud ide "Cloud 9". This is brilliant as it has a server built in, so you can write your php and ajax ect and when you run it, its live on the web, and your provided with a domain. It also has support for database servers like phpmyadmin. This editor is an absolute gem.

I have recently been dabbling with sublime text 3, which is another beaut.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I use sublime at present, though have used many others depending on the environment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Sublime Text 3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hadn't heard of Cloud9, looks nice. Although I don't like these "subscribe per month" tools, I'd much rather pay a once off flat fee.

Used Sublime a few times but 9 times out of 10, if I'm doing something quick and dirty, it'll be in Notepad++

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i've tried everything but probably do the most work in notepad++
    i love their search feature which i really needed when doing Android apps in Eclipse. now i use android studio which i love and has great search, but i still use notepad++ for a lot of stuff. the whole jetbrains IDE is fantastic, i use PHP storm as well. PHP storm sounds perfect for your usecase of deploying to server on save and opening in browser easily. it's the best PHP ide by far.

i fire up editpadpro when i really need to do some poweful regex searching or read binary files. i dunno why i haven't switched to it as my main editor, just notepad++ inertia really

i use xcode and sublime text for iOS apps.

http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2016#technology-development-environments

notepad++ most popular in that survey. it's just a good general purpose editor for making changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

RedXIV wrote: »
    Hadn't heard of Cloud9, looks nice. Although I don't like these "subscribe per month" tools, I'd much rather pay a once off flat fee.

Used Sublime a few times but 9 times out of 10, if I'm doing something quick and dirty, it'll be in Notepad++

I have only used the free version. I have done a good few college projects on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

mainly vim, sometimes sublime

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Visual Studio or Notepad++ on Windows. Kate and nano/ee on POSIX. I use Beyond Compare for file comparisons, it was one of the first pieces of software I ever paid for straight out of uni back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Vim and PHPStorm in about equal measure at the moment. Both a pretty great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Koding.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Notepad++, Netbeans or vim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

vim and sublime text 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

VS or NotePad ++

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Currently using atom.io and loving it. It's extremely configurable and customisable - I don't think I've ever used anything easier than it when working on multiple projects. Also has plenty of eye candy/themes/plugins.

I used to use Komodo for PHP but it started getting on my nerves as can be a little bit buggy. Honorable mentions to Brackets.io and notepad++.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Sublime 3 and Vim

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Keep coming back to WebStorm, tried Brackets, Sublime, and Atom as sometimes I would like something lighter, but I miss the refactoring and debugging tools. Atom has become very nice lately though. I use vim too, when I need to edit something quickly over an SSH session. For context, I am primarily writing JavaScript (node and react).

Advertisement