Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Garage Wall - dilute paint or not?

Options
  • 26-05-2016 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi there, apologies I know there are some similar posts on this before but hearing conflicting advice on whether to thin down Sandex exterior masonary paint or not, and whether to use diluted PVA sealant coat or not.. Well I've already done the PVA :)

Scenario:
    I am painting inner leaf of masonary block garage. Fair face block finish. New build. Been dried out for last 6 months. I've already done a diluted coat of PVA polybond type sealant watered down about 5:1 last weekend.

I now have 2 nice big buckets of Sandtex masonry brilliant white ready to go on the walls this weekend. Hoping to do 2 coats.

Question:
    Should I now water down the first coat of masonry paint or not? The Sandtex tub doesn't say to dilute at all, but internet consensus seems to be dilute to make first coat easier.

Does the fact that I've already sealed blocks with PVA mean i can just paint both coats on as the manufacturer recommended undiluted or should I always dilute first coat of paint with water? If so how much water to add?

All advice welcome ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Citroen2cv

I painted a garden block wall with white sandtex masonary paint a while back. Coat of PVA first, and then two heavy coats of the paint, really lashed it on. I didnt dilute.
    Came out fine, all pores and crevaces are painted over.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thebigredmachin

thanks Citroen, might try it undiluted so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Citroen2cv wrote: »
    I painted a garden block wall with white sandtex masonary paint a while back. Coat of PVA first, and then two heavy coats of the paint, really lashed it on. I didnt dilute.

Pardon the ignorance but what's PVA? I'm just about to paint a previously unpainted cavity block garden wall.

If the OP doesn't mind can I also ask another question? Can you use masonry paint on wood? I was going to paint garden shed in the same colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

yellow hen wrote: »
    Citroen2cv wrote: »

Pardon the ignorance but what's PVA? I'm just about to paint a previously unpainted cavity block garden wall.

If the OP doesn't mind can I also ask another question? Can you use masonry paint on wood? I was going to paint garden shed in the same colour.

Pva is a sealer.

Masonry paint won't stick to wood very well . A good paint shop will be able to tint white wood paint to suit your masonry colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Car99 wrote: »
    Pva is a sealer.

Masonry paint won't stick to wood very well . A good paint shop will be able to tint white wood paint to suit your masonry colour.
    Thanks a million. Would it be a total disaster if I used it anyway? What's likely to happen... It'll flake in the cold weather?

• Advertisement

Flake off eventually that's not the worst bit though, the worst bit is removing the flaking paint to apply a coat of wood paint afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thebigredmachin

I'm ok with the thread hijack yellow hen, to be honest I think with paint it's usually best to do "exactly what they say on the tin" use masonry paint on masonry and wood paint on wood.

Nothing as bad as stripping paint :)

Still open to opinions on my original question but I'm leaning toward lashing the paint on undiluted tomorrow ;)

Lash in on thick sur nowt bad will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Dublin City Handyman

The PVA and undiluted paint will do, 2 or 3 coats of paint. It will be a lot easier the next time you paint it.

Advertisement