Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed, stuck in France.

Options
  • 26-05-2016 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

To cut a very long and eventful story short, my brother was on his way to Austria to race in the erzberg rodeo. He's driving a 1990 ford transit camper van and towing a small trailer with the bikes.
    Anyway the prop shaft carrier bearing (assuming that's what it's called) **** itself just outside of Paris. They got towed to a very helpful ford garage who let them stay in the camper on the garage forecourt until the new bearing arrived (2 days). Fitted the bearing today and it turns out the propshaft is fcuked too and the lads in the garage said they can't source one, and second hand is the only way to get one.

Can anyone at all point me towards somewhere I might find one to send over to him, he works for a courier company so shipping isn't a problem. It's just finding the part :(
    I'm ringing the camperman and the transit breakers in Longford in the morning but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Even some place in Europe.

He's gonna try borrow a van from the garage and try make qualifications on sat so if that happens it'll give me a few days to find the part and get it shipped over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Year of van?
    Long or short wheelbase?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

I'm pretty sure I'm facebook friends with his missus, the photos are hilarious! Hope they get sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

jimbis wrote: »
    To cut a very long and eventful story short, my brother was on his way to Austria to race in the erzberg rodeo. He's driving a 1990 ford transit camper van and towing a small trailer with the bikes.
    Anyway the prop shaft carrier bearing (assuming that's what it's called) **** itself just outside of Paris. They got towed to a very helpful ford garage who let them stay in the camper on the garage forecourt until the new bearing arrived (2 days). Fitted the bearing today and it turns out the propshaft is fcuked too and the lads in the garage said they can't source one, and second hand is the only way to get one.

Can anyone at all point me towards somewhere I might find one to send over to him, he works for a courier company so shipping isn't a problem. It's just finding the part :(
    I'm ringing the camperman and the transit breakers in Longford in the morning but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Even some place in Europe.

He's gonna try borrow a van from the garage and try make qualifications on sat so if that happens it'll give me a few days to find the part and get it shipped over.

Don't buy anything from camper man.

You'll need to know the engine, wheelbase, probably number of gears etc. could be lots of variations, get the bro to measure the length too to be sure.

Try Traynors or bridgevan in the north, dempseys dismantlers mayo.

You can search on partfinder then sort by year ascending, will give you an idea of who's worth contacting.

http://www.partfinder.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Thanks for the help peoples. Somehow the garage found the part brand new and worked their asses of to get them on the road. Hopefully they are almost at their destination by now.
    The garage was super helpful to them. So if anyone is passing through Chalon de champagne near Reims in France be sure to call into the ford garage and tell them they are a great bunch of lads.

elusiveguy wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I'm facebook friends with his missus, the photos are hilarious! Hope they get sorted

Lisa? Small oul world ha. Yeah they tried to make the best of a bad situation and it helps that my brothers a bit nuts haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

wrote:
    The garage was super helpful to them. So if anyone is passing through Chalon de champagne near Reims in France be sure to call into the ford garage and tell them they are a great bunch of lads.

Stories like this always reinforce my belief that people are sound wherever you go. Sometimes the trouble of the breakdown is almost overcome by the generosity of the people who help out. I've had a few in all sorts of vehicles at home and abroad. Now the time that the fuel filter burst in the MH and left a hundred euro trail of diesel from the boat and a five litre pool in the aire where I parked is a different story..... Goodwill only goes so far.:o:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement