Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is leaving cert art hard?!

Options
  • 26-05-2016 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I have to pick leaving cert subjects today and I picked art biology French and accounting. When I leave school I want to do something in medicine or accounting. All my friends and family told me to do art because it is easy points for me. I was just wondering is leaving cert art easy and I get all a's now what will I get in leaving cert I'm really good at history as well. And are my subject choices ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

You need to be at least somewhat decent at drawing/painting, and there is a lot of work involved. Like, A LOT. Most people who do leaving cert art do it because they're aiming to get into art college, one girl I know skipped two of her mocks to finish working on her portfolio. It's not the subject to pick for "easy points"

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ryansapienza

I think if you got an A in your junior cert you will be alright, that's not to say you'll get an A in your LC as it's a very high standard but you'll be able to get fairly high points if you have a decent ability to draw. Pick your craft as early as possible (calligraphy, clay, etc) and just practise that non stop for the whole of fifth and sixth year. Don't expect to be able to get high points without practising though. Also don't underestimate the importance of the written paper. The written course isn't huge so if you spend time studying names, dates and techniques in details it can really bring up your grade.

My practical art standard is only about a B2 but I spend a ****load of time studying art history, I got 95% in the written mock so hopefully that will bring my grade up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Don't do a subject for 'easy points'?? Your parents say it is easy but whether you agree is a different story! I didn't find it easy, I found it really difficult at times. The history was great for me though but I had such an inspiring teacher.
    If you're interested in medicine surely you've been considering another science subject? I'm all for broad choices and stuff but do what you want. If you actually have an interest in art, I see why not. I've always been the type of person to do what I enjoyed and never something for sake of points. I know I would have actually done worse in those 'easy' subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Leavingcert16

If you might want to do medicine you should probably consider doing chemistry as I'm pretty sure only one college doesn't require it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AbandoningEd

Haha, LC art is not the subject for easy points, I'm doing it and I'm two weeks from the exam, it's stressful because there's so much to cover, no matter how good your teacher is you're never gonna finish the full history course. And the practical side us tough, you only have five hours to do your craft/design, don't get me wrong, I love art and I want to work in the art industry (hence why I picked it) but it's tough going, you'll have to be extremely passionate about art to do the history side of things and you've got to be good at remembering dates and key words. It's a tough course so if you're not on for it I'd suggest swapping subjects if at all possible. I spend most of my study time at art and I still only got a B1 in my mocks.
    Anyways, good luck with whatever you choose to do☺

• Advertisement
Advertisement