Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landrover Defender CamperVan conversion HELP

Options
  • 25-05-2016 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hoping for some advise, I bought a campervan off a friend who has been living and traveling all over Europe & Africa in it.

Do you think its possible to have it classed as a campervan in Ireland. It's a second vehicle and I only plan on using it the odd weekend but don't fancy the excessive insurance and tax. Looking on the revenue website it nearly gets all the rules :ninja:

Anyone come up against this before??
    htLandy_zpsqxytaecw.jpg

landy2_zpsps5clz6z.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

If its registered camper in the UK it might help but even if you get it classified you'll struggle to insure it how much hassle are you prepared to go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Surely there's certain citeria to class it as a camper. (toilet/shower/beds/water storage I see a pump tap so must have a water tank at least etc.)

All I see from your pics is a commercial jeep with some clever ply lining and a bit of a mat thrown in the back to act a bed. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Surely there's certain citeria to class it as a camper. (toilet/shower/beds/water storage I see a pump tap so must have a water tank at least etc.)

All I see from your pics is a commercial jeep with some clever ply lining and a bit of a mat thrown in the back to act a bed. :confused:

The are clear requirements its on the revenue site, and toilet shower are not among them.

The main issue is that revenue and insurance don't want every farmer and builder driving a 'camper' for cheap tax and insurance. So they try to enforce a 1.8m rule even though theres no basis for it in legislation.

If you want insurance on a sub 1.8m van you have to go to a club or if you're very lucky a you might find a broker, e.g. carole nash may cover if its a vw transporter / caravelle based yoke.

Theres zero chance of the club accepting that on their group scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Tried it before and had no joy. SQI passed it, Revenue said no way.

http://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/topic.php?t=5224&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 42 D35

Thanks for the replies, back to the drawing board :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Would you not leave it as a commercial? Insurance would be little or no different, tax would be less than a fiver a week more expensive.

Put the cab on a classic chassis and engine.

Im having issues taxing it as a commercial and looked at the classic chassis option but there are no very cheap rotten ones on done deal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

There myst be a defender off road club...you could try. Also take some photos from every angle send them to one insurance company possibly dolmen asking would the cover it. Tell them the cushions are removed or try to make it look more homely

Do you mind me asking, but why are you having trouble taxing it commercial? Was it a passenger model? Or are you in a county where the Council are being awkward about allowing people have commercial vehicles without VAT numbers and registered businesses?

• Advertisement

Yes it was a former Army vehicle and is on the log book as an estate and add that to an awkward tax office

You might have to strip out the plywood lining to allow a customs inspector verify that the rear seatbelt mounting points are welded up. Other than that it should be simple to have it registered as commercial. It happens all the time, and the guidelines are straightforward.
    A lot easier than trying to get it registered as a camper.

Advertisement