Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In-Season Strength and Conditioning

Options
  • 25-05-2016 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

I usually get in 2/3 days in gym on lunches /after work with 2 trainings on field and a match or maybe 2 matches over 7 days.

Last week i got training on Tuesday evening, I get lower body session in on Wednesday and Upper Body thursday and a game on Saturday.

This week, game on Tuesday, another game Saturday and too wrecked and sore to hit gym today.

How does the below sound for a one day session tomorrow as i'll leave Friday as a rest day:

I usually Superset 2 excercises

Squats 3sets4reps 80-85%
    Box Jumps 3*4

One Leg RDLs 3*8*14kg kettle bells
    Verticle Jumps 3*6

Bench 3*5*80-85%
    Reverse Row 3*6

Pull ups 3*6 Body Weight
    Hang Clean overhead press 3*4*40kg

Is that balanced enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I understand supersetting stuff at the end, but with main movements like squats and bench I wouldn't. I'd also leave plyometric stuff to the end

3x4 at 80-85% is not much volume really for squats, and I've no idea why 1 legged RDL's are done when regular RDL's are still a great exercise.

I also wouldn't get in the habit of skipping training sessions just because you feel tired. It's very hard to be overtrained and your routine certainly doesn't look like it would lead to it either. Some of my best days in the gym were days where I felt sore but my body adapted quickly when warmed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Could bump the squats to 4*6 or up the weights. The main point of supersetting all way through is simply time. I'll try it today and see. I normally dont skip because of being tired, yesterday was more of a case of niggles from a tough game night before. I suppose the advice i am looking for is if you find yourself in the position where you have one day to get a session in what would it be. Goals are Strength and Speed but in season so maintainance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I understand supersetting stuff at the end, but with main movements like squats and bench I wouldn't. I'd also leave plyometric stuff to the end

3x4 at 80-85% is not much volume really for squats, and I've no idea why 1 legged RDL's are done when regular RDL's are still a great exercise.

I also wouldn't get in the habit of skipping training sessions just because you feel tired. It's very hard to be overtrained and your routine certainly doesn't look like it would lead to it either. Some of my best days in the gym were days where I felt sore but my body adapted quickly when warmed up.

3x4 @80-85% might not be much if you are not playing sports but if you're in season and are training and playing matches during the weak you are better off being over cautious with volume on the gym stuff rather than going all out.

I imagine the single leg RDL's are included to target the hamstrings unilaterally. Yes, regular RDl's are a great exercise but if the goal is to get some unilateral work in then there not really the right exercise.

I disagree with your point on over training. If the OP is in season and playing a sport then it's very easy for the gym work to impact on the on field performance. It's better to err on the side of caution to imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The OP is looking to do some work in the gym to maintain some strength to complement football so the gym work shouldn't be compromising his performance on the pitch. Higher volume is too likely to have a negative impact on the pitch.

Thanks for replies. I upped the squat to 4*6 80% and left the plyo til the end. Kept to one leg rdls for stability. Bench and seated row ad normal. I nearly buckled myself doing hang clean and overhead press. Failed on last set on the lift. Plyo was not great. Lesson learned is I need the split of two days to get the best out of all the excercises. Been on the go for 3 months now so I know when im tired and need to push through but also when I need the day off. Just very hard to put in a good all round session when left with one session between games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Just my opinion but I would disregard nearly everything Mighty Mandarin said and do something approaching your initial programme, maybe leaving out the cleans as a matter of self preservation.

Got another day into day and can get in tomorrow morning. Match Wednesday but might not be heavily involved. Did a bit of mountain biking yesterday. Tough sh!t. Anyway todays sesh. Circuit of three exercises.

Squats 3*6*70%
    Box jumps 3*6 hip height
    Hip flexor stretch

RDLs 3*6* 40kg starting mark for new excercise
    Squat jumps 3*6
    Leg raises

Overhead farmer walks*3

Tomorrow is bench 3*6
    Seated row 3*6
    Wall flexion

Weighted pull up
    Overhead press. (No clean)

Shoulder raises
    Clap push ups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Your plyo or power based movements should be first in your program. They demand the most from your body and should be done when you are most fresh to ensure you can perform them to the level needed to continue to improve

That's not necessarily true either. Google PAP, complexes etc.

Just did and this is what ive unknowingly been doing on leg day at least. Probably was intentional, I didnt do up my programme myself was given it. Just havent got it updated in 3 months. I'll adjust upper body day to include med ball throws though

• Advertisement

PAP doesn't have much of a training effect unless you are already well trained in general and experienced at using PAP as a training method plus its effects generally work to such a specific time frame most people don't actually utilise PAP when they think they are.

I doubt the OP (no-offence meant) needs anything besides pretty basic programming to maintain and improve physically in-season.

cc87 wrote: »
    PAP doesn't have much of a training effect unless you are already well trained in general and experienced at using PAP as a training method plus its effects generally work to such a specific time frame most people don't actually utilise PAP when they think they are.

I doubt the OP (no-offence meant) needs anything besides pretty basic programming to maintain and improve physically in-season.

Can you elaborate on using PAP in a specific timeframe? Interested to find out more, not inexperienced in gym at all just curious to what improvements can be made whilst still in season have had coaches and PTs working with me up to a few months ago so just trying to push on, do need to develop the power aspect

Deco99 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on using PAP in a specific timeframe? Interested to find out more, not inexperienced in gym at all just curious to what improvements can be made whilst still in season have had coaches and PTs working with me up to a few months ago so just trying to push on, do need to develop the power aspect

Lets use squats and jumps as an example.

Generally when people perform complex training it goes along these line.....perform their set of squats, grab a drink of water, go do their jumps. All in all probably takes 3-5 minutes.

If you take a look at the research into PAP, particularly the research that used participants with a proper training age and level (i.e. not a bunch of university students that thought it sounded interested), most research points to it taking a minimum of 5 minutes for any PAP effect to occur usually peaking around 12-16 minutes after squats.

So if you were to use PAP for training it might look like this, squat, rest 5 minutes, jump, rest 5 minutes, squat, rest 5 minutes, jump etc. Which means your looking at around 40-50minutes for a set of 5. Basically too long for it to be practical.

IMO unless you are doing something to measure your jumps in training, when using complex/PAP training, so you know if you are being effected by fatigue or not chances are you are being affected.

Don't worry too much about any of the above. Hit your main exercise, hit your jump, rest for X mins and repeat three times. It's true PAP has different variables playing into how it manifests. You don't have the actual time to consider any of them so for the moment just go with what coaches are typically programming (which could change as we learn more). No need to worry about minutiae.

Don't worry too much about any of the above. Hit your main exercise, hit your jump, rest for X mins and repeat three times. It's true PAP has different variables playing into how it manifests. You don't have the actual time to consider any of them so for the moment just go with what coaches are typically programming (which could change as we learn more). No need to worry about minutiae.

He's more than welcome to do that, but if as you have also said, he doesn't have the time to use PAP effectively, why use it?

I would suggest something along these lines: 2 days a week

Day 1 Day 2
    A1 Power: Jumps or cleans What you didn't do on day 1

B1 Squat: Back Squat
    B2 Pull: Chin/Pull Ups/Inverted Rows

C1 Hinge: RDLs
    C2 Push: Press-Up/Bench

Day 2
    What you didn't do on day 1

Lunge/Split Squat/Single Leg Squat
    Single Arm Rows/Pulldowns

Single Leg RDLs
    Db Bench

I'm guessing its GAA you're involved in? Then add in some additional hamstring work(ideally with an eccentric focus) at the end plus some form of core work. If you want some isolation arm work as well at the very end for the gunshow.

Do 3-5 sets of 5-8 depending on what your week looks like. Use a weight that allows you feel like you could do another 3 or 4 reps at the end of the first set.

Do day 1 further away from competition.

Because it's efficient and there's still likely to be some effect of extra recruitment. Also, I didn't write a whole new programme, I just said what he was already doing was mostly fine. You said he should do power work at the start. I said that wasn't wholly necessary. I still think it isn't wholly necessary. So must you if you know what PAP is, which you seem to.

I'm not seeing alot online regarding PAP and the timing of it. It seems all go from the Squat into the jump within seconds.

Here's another poser for the in-season training. Have a game on a Friday at 7pm but that week I'm working shift starting at 7 a.m. so up at 6 a.m. Last two times this has happened I was either lethargic and off the pace, or the last time going pretty well until i hit a wall and started empty retching about 10 minutes in to second half, (hadnt eaten since 12.30 and the ref was an half hour late so kick off of 8.30 p.m.) putting that down to food. If i'm goin to change my routine to try and account for this, i'll prob have to start this week. Any suggestions.

I'm thinking,
    7.00am big breakfast of porridge
    9.30 a.m. banana, apple and a coffee
    (snack on nuts if i'm getting hungry up to lunch, think thats where i cracked last time)
    1.30p.m. - 2.00pm Lunch - Chicken/Fish Rice type dinner with broccoli or some form of veg, not a roll or wrap.
    4.30 p.m. 2 eggs and avocado
    5.30p.m. Smoothie - Blueberries, yogurt, banana, red bull ( ;) secret ingredient) scoop of protein.

Normal amounts of water lead up to then. Would an hour nap around 3.15 (after work) be a good idea?

This isnt far off my normal diet, just maybe it could be the eggs with porridge in morning and no avocado or no porridge the odd day. Plus non match days i'll have dinner around 7 and maybe a sandwich at lunch. smoothies maybe 3 or 4 days week. Just trying to plan around this 11 hour day before playing

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pat_custard

Deco99 wrote: »
    I'm not seeing alot online regarding PAP and the timing of it. It seems all go from the Squat into the jump within seconds.

Here's another poser for the in-season training. Have a game on a Friday at 7pm but that week I'm working shift starting at 7 a.m. so up at 6 a.m. Last two times this has happened I was either lethargic and off the pace, or the last time going pretty well until i hit a wall and started empty retching about 10 minutes in to second half, (hadnt eaten since 12.30 and the ref was an half hour late so kick off of 8.30 p.m.) putting that down to food. If i'm goin to change my routine to try and account for this, i'll prob have to start this week. Any suggestions.

I'm thinking,
    7.00am big breakfast of porridge
    9.30 a.m. banana, apple and a coffee
    (snack on nuts if i'm getting hungry up to lunch, think thats where i cracked last time)
    1.30p.m. - 2.00pm Lunch - Chicken/Fish Rice type dinner with broccoli or some form of veg, not a roll or wrap.
    4.30 p.m. 2 eggs and avocado
    5.30p.m. Smoothie - Blueberries, yogurt, banana, red bull ( ;) secret ingredient) scoop of protein.

Normal amounts of water lead up to then. Would an hour nap around 3.15 (after work) be a good idea?

This isnt far off my normal diet, just maybe it could be the eggs with porridge in morning and no avocado or no porridge the odd day. Plus non match days i'll have dinner around 7 and maybe a sandwich at lunch. smoothies maybe 3 or 4 days week. Just trying to plan around this 11 hour day before playing

I might be nit picking but as a personal preference when I have a match in the evening I would normally eat my avocado in the morning just to keep me feeling full a bit longer until lunch. At your 4:30 meal I'd normally have another portion of carbs with a lean source of protein.

Advertisement