Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert C++ App to HTML5?

Options
  • 25-05-2016 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,
    In my current place of work we have several games written in C++ that we'd like to make available on-line. We were thinking of porting/converting them to HTML5?

Anybody have any ideas if this is possible and if so, who could I get to do this for us?

Thanks.

JWP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

http://kripken.github.io/emscripten-site/

Emscripten can port C/C++ code to asm.js for it to run in the browser. They got the Unreal 4 game engine working in the browser this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Crowman

Thanks for the reply, as we have limited Dev capacity we're looking to outsource this work, any idea who we could get to do it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'm not really sure to be honest. It's not a very common skill to have I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

Anima wrote: »
    I'm not really sure to be honest. It's not a very common skill to have I'd imagine.

Indeedy true. Competent devs at this skill set are likely charging around €100/hour, and as much as you can spit out a test port in less than a week, something maintainable and shippable to customers is likely several months of work.

If you can afford to put at least €30k towards a port, PM me and I can ask around the LLVM clang community for someone competent. Unfortunately I'm on contract until November, else I'd bid for this myself.

BTW your code base absolutely needs to be compilable using clang and it needs to work on Linux via OpenGL. You will also make your life much easier if you don't use threads at all, and your non-SIMD code paths are fast enough to be viable, plus ideally your code base needs to be portable to architectures other than Intel x86/x64.

If you don't have these in place, an Emscripten port is going to be a lot of work as you'll need to significantly refactor your code base to fit. If you're UE4 based, good news, Epic have done a lot of the needed refactoring already, you just need to refactor your code till it'll package and run on say an Android ARM phone as a good proxy for what's needed for a Javascript port.

Niall

Advertisement