Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back To Education / Reclassifying as an Independent Student

Options
  • 25-05-2016 4:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I had upped an old thread with a question there, but I had another more specific one and thought it warranted a more specific title.

I'm 24 years old and have been since April. I live with my parents (this sounds like the saddest dating profile ever). From 2014 to 2016, I completed a PLC Level 5 course and a PLC Level 6 course. I have not done a higher course level course than this before and have never received a SUSI grant.

I'm intending on going to Scotland for university for an undergraduate course and have been accepted for a tuition bursary from SAAS. I won't be getting any maintenance grants however.

I was on the SUSI page for Applicant Class and just happened to have a read this part:-
    Reclassification

Your applicant class may be reclassified from dependent to independent under the following circumstances;
    • On movement from Further Education (PLC course) to Higher Education(undergraduate course)
    • On re-entry after a three year break in studies. (meaning you have not attended a course leading to a major award at levels 1-10 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ)for 3 full years)

However, in both of the above circumstances you must still meet the criteria to be over 23 years of age on the 1st of January of the year of your first point of entry/re-entry to an approved course of further or higher education in order to be classed as an independent student.

I was wondering, would I be eligible to classify myself as an independent student as I was 23 years old on 1st of January and I'm moving from a PLC course to an undergraduate course?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

OP I have moved your thread to Student Finances (with a redirect in State Benefits) as you will probably get more feedback there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RoughSleeper

Regarding the quote in your post: does it mean you have to fulfil both criteria to be considered independent or just one of the two? Sorry for hijacking your thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RoughSleeper

Ignore my above post. I'm stupid. And I can't edit/delete it, for some reason.

Advertisement