Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a PC from second hand parts

Options
  • 24-05-2016 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi

I'm looking to eventually build myself a gaming PC, but since I've never done it before I wanted to do a trial run with any old parts I can get hold of and install Ubuntu on it.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a place to get hold of cheap parts, even second hand will do. But mainly I need to know which parts will work with what. How can I tell which processors will work with a certain motherboard? How much RAM it can take etc.?

Any help would be appreciated :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Linus Tech Tips has a rake of videos on these kinda topics on youtube. Check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Adverts and the selling PC gear sticky here - read the Mod Warning.

Someone has a Q6600 going for a couple of hundred notes. I'd buy that, strip it down and play with that. Alternatively just get some really crappy old office machine and take it apart. Really the principles are the same, screws go in holes etc. It's easier building a PC than Ikea furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Agree with above, motherboard and CPU will have the Socket on them, FM2, FM3 etc for AMD, LGA1150 or LGA1151 for Intel

Motherboard spec will have the ram type in it, and the max allowed. DDR3 or DDR4, DIMM is for PCs, SO-DIMM is for Laptops

Motherboard name will have size in it, ATX is biggest, then mATX, then mITX, a case can normally take a motherboard for it and the sizes below, case name will have the largest size it accepts on it.

PSUs are universal for ATX or mATX, some mITX take full size PSUs AFAIK

GPUs are universal slot wise, the max card length needs to be shorter than the max card length in your case. Both will be in each components specs.

SSDs and HDDs are all SATA now so they're universal. There are M.2 SSDs as well but a special motherboard is needed and they're super expensive so not fully mainstream. Or they weren't last I knew.

All CD drives are SATA as well.

That's pretty much the gist of what fits into what, for actual physical parts buy a cheapo €30 PC from adverts and take it all apart, stick it together and boot again. Bam you're done, there's not much to it.

If you're buying parts new then skinflint.co.uk has very exact specs for picking parts, having a mess around on the site might teach you a bit

Advertisement