Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QQI Level 5 Points - Maynooth

Options
  • 24-05-2016 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

So I have just received word that I got 10 out of 10 distinctions, all approved by External Examiner. So I was just wondering what my chances are of getting into the Arts degree at Maynooth? is 10 distinctions the norm? Or will it increase my chances?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AFAIK usually FETAC awards have eight modules, so ten would put you in with an excellent chance. Your course-coordinator should be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭wehuntmonsters

That sounds good. Even though my award has been submitted online and through the examiner I was told that the results wouldn't be released until August 15th, meaning I have to compete with Leaving Certificate students. Surely if everything is submitted shouldn't I be offered a place in Round 0?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gavbuzz

Hi, from what I remember having applied to both Maynooth and IT Carlow through my FETAC results. In regards to Round Zero or the competing with the Leaving Cert results if the course you are going for has a FETAC quota to fill then you should hear back from them in Round Zero which is normally the start of August if I remember correctly.
    However it does depend on this and what way the institution themselves sort out the results or the applicants.
    Basically do a bit of research on your chosen degree and its requirements and see if it mentions FETAC or a FETAC quota and if there is a FETAC quota then you should if all goes well hear back for Round Zero if there is no quota mentioned then you unfortunetly are just going to have to wait for the Leaving Certs to get their results and have to compete with them. Hope that helps I realise I rambled. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RoughSleeper

spurious wrote: »
    AFAIK usually FETAC awards have eight modules, so ten would put you in with an excellent chance. Your course-coordinator should be able to tell you.

But aren't only the top 8 counted in the same way only the top 6 are counted for the Leaving Certificate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

With having ten distinctions, the OP would more than likely have distinctions in all the required as well as possibly all the optional modules too. Sounds to me like an excellent chance.

What did your course co-ordinator say, OP?

• Advertisement

Ah okay, I thought you meant someone with 10 distinctions would have a better chance than someone with 8 because they have more.

spurious wrote: »
    With having ten distinctions, the OP would more than likely have distinctions in all the required as well as possibly all the optional modules too. Sounds to me like an excellent chance.

What did your course co-ordinator say, OP?

For my course I had to have distinctions in five particular subjects that I knew of and received them of course. My co-ordinator said that my results and award will be released from QQI to CAO in mid June. Offers won't be made until Round 0 or 1, this depends on QQI and CAO and the college of course. (She was incredibly unclear). Apparently ten distinctions will give me a better chance than someone with eight. I'm just quoting this, not tooting my own horn.

Also, I do remember one of the Professors at Maynooth's open day saying that the more distinctions you have, the better chance you have of getting in. she also said that someone with 7 will get passed over for 9. That's why I pushed and worked a lot harder. Of course, it was an advantage being able to do 10 subjects.

Note; I came here to ask this of fellow boardsies because I was worried and unsure of the volumes of QQI students applying to Maynooth. This is why I wanted to know if I had a good chance.

For my course I had to have distinctions in five particular subjects that I knew of and received them of course. My co-ordinator said that my results and award will be released from QQI to CAO in mid June. Offers won't be made until Round 0 or 1, this depends on QQI and CAO and the college of course. (She was incredibly unclear). Apparently ten distinctions will give me a better chance than someone with eight. I'm just quoting this, not tooting my own horn.

Also, I do remember one of the Professors at Maynooth's open day saying that the more distinctions you have, the better chance you have of getting in. she also said that someone with 7 will get passed over for 9. That's why I pushed and worked a lot harder. Of course, it was an advantage being able to do 10 subjects.

The last paragraph perplexes me. Not all FETAC courses are the same, and some only have 8 modules, whereas others might have 9 or 10. Wouldn't it thus be unfair to a student who achieves 9 distinctions in 9 modules, over someone who achieves 10 out of 10? They never had the option for that tenth module.

I know I'm quite confused myself sometimes. As I mentioned, or maybe forgot to, not all QQI courses at Level 5 have ten modules. Minimum is 8. I wouldn't be worried if I was you, if you achieve all the distinctions that you need to and a few more, then you're more than likely to get an offer. Again, ten is rare so I wouldn't worry about many applicants having that amount of modules. Besides, merits aren't even taken into consideration so if you achieve all 8 then you've got a really good edge on other applicants.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is all down to what your course and institution offer also. Every institution has the option to extend the number of modules, some do but some don't. This is what I was told anyway. Again, not an expert so someone feel free to correct me if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Hi folks

Be careful as the method of calculating the QQI points (FETAC as a brand no longer exists) has changed in the past 2 years. While the number of modules or minor programmes, to give them their correct title, is important their value or weighting is also important. For a detailed explanation see http://www2.cao.ie/fetac/FETAC_scoring.pdf and make sure and have your provisional results in front of you when you are calculating your scores.

There are two categories of enry routes - one where you compete with other PLC/FETAC/QQI students and not against Leaving Cert students and one where you compete against Leaving Cert students. Best of luck

Advertisement